How to rid snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ejaramillo01 said:
I heard that YoYo loach are great snail hunters, and I also believe that they don't grow as big as the clown loaches...

I'll let you know. I just got some today! They have an all you can eat buffet in my tank. :)

They will reproduce quickly while there's abundant food source but once the other pest snails are gone you can sell some or wait for them to die off. once the food source dwindles than the population will adjust to a small group of what your regular feedings of the tank can sustain.

I love assassin snails- awesome (if slow-moving) predator. Get a few of them and let them "earn their room and board"!

Also- rapidly increasing snail population is often caused by over reading.

The lettuce trick works too, but not as fun.

mohican said:
Ill have to try lettuce/zuchini trick. Not big fan fighting snails with snails, sounds like a disaster.

Assassin snails cannot over populate. Their reproduction is slow, they cannot damage plants, fish, or more desirable snails (like nerites).

I don't think I over feed but the snails seem to thrive on algae wafers before my plecos get to them.

If you are using algae wafers you are most likely overfeeding. I have noticed that it is almost impossible not to overfeed with those! I think I may just be getting a semigood algae wafer schedule for my tank...

I throw in 2-3 wafers every other day for 2 BNPs. Is that too much? I don't really have any visible algae for them otherwise.

Well, I think they are doing something. I just found the empty shell of my assassin snail. :( but if they're doing the same to the pond snails, I'm happy. Glad I didn't spend more on assassins. I am noticing a lot fewer snails. Partially due to me netting hundreds out. But I think the loaches are going to keep it under control now.

Discusapisto said:
Yeah if you watch assassins long enough you'll deff see some hunting they attack pretty fast for a snail.:)

Actually, I was referring to the Yoyo loaches attacking a snail. Haha. They already ate my assassin snail. But yeah, assassins do their job well too. :)

Hholly said:
Actually, I was referring to the Yoyo loaches attacking a snail. Haha. They already ate my assassin snail. But yeah, assassins do their job well too. :)

Good I'm adding mines today....let's see.

Would assassin snails be ok in a 10G with shrimp and a nerite? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've seen some baby ramshorn snails lately and I'm freaking out. Also, would the assassin snails disturb the gravel too much and uproot plants? Again sorry to hijack the thread.

Back
Top Bottom