How to Switch from SW over to FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revchristinejday

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have my eye on a new larger tank for my goldie, but it was last used as a saltwater aquarium...what do I need to know and how do I condition/clean it for the transition to freshwater?
Thanks,
Chris

As the Bomb said, and the only reason I know is I just asked the same question. The good folks here suggested a Vinegar water solution to clean and rinse throughly. Oh and if there are tough spots use salt as an abrasive to clean. Make sure its not acryllic or then do not use the salt to clean.

Thanks! How about the filters? Someone told me I can't use the filter if it was used for SW...Can't I just replace the media (or rather transfer from another tank....)
Chris

Depends on what kind, the mechanical part after good cleansing (not soap) but ya the media gets tossed. I do not know this for sure so someone with some hands on should answer I guess, but that is partly what I am doing.

ive been recently told on aa that the bb is different and that switching will still require cycling your tank. if they are hob filters may as well get new pads or bio wheels. if canister filters just rinse the media in tap water and allow tank to cycle and grow the freshwater bb

Freshwater and saltwater bb is a subject im confused on too ive been told one thing yet read another, so far more say they are different. I guess we will both find out considering im going fresh to salt and going to use my freshwater canister filters until i can get all the lr i need and get it cured

Yes the bb is different. One is adapted to live in saltier conditions so moving it to freshwater or vice versa will kill it unfortunately.

Yes the bb is different. One is adapted to live in saltier conditions so moving it to freshwater or vice versa will kill it unfortunately.

+1

i tested my water for ammonia/trites/trates and im spiking even though i kept my filters cycled buy putting them on another freshwater tank. im glad i took the advice to let my saltwater tank cycle before adding any fish.

My 55 went from fresh, to salt, to fresh, to salt, then became a turtle tank, and now fresh again. Granted I have had it for 15 years, but all I did to clean it was use super super hot water and rinse very well.

Back
Top Bottom