How's your gravel vac?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I desperately need to get a gravel vac for my 20 gallon tank as I know it is important for maintaining a clean and healthy fish tank. I was wondering what everyone's opinion is when it comes to the best most user friendly gravel vac's. has anyone ever attempted to make their own? What gravel vac do you use and what do you like about it?

I use the aqueon water changer. I have sand so I took the big tube off and just use the hose and very lightly skim the top of the sand bed.

I use the aqueon water changer also, as well as a long top fin one for my deep 60g. They all work wonderfully, I also keep a small 10 gallon water changer to get in the little areas of the tank the big once can't fit in. What's nice about the aqueon is that you can hook up the hose right to your faucet and fill and drain the tank with no mess.

Nothing fancy. Just a regular gravel vac and some elbow grease. Gets the job done every time!

David

Python here, but I've used the short siphon ones before. The skinny siphons vac don't work very well, I prefer the Fatter one. Wider = more suction, but more water would have to be added cleaning the substrate.

An one inch diameter piece of clear vinyl hose from Lowe's should work just fine for your 20.

I have an Aqueon water changer. But I also use an Aqueon siphon with the squeeze bulb, for vacuuming. My water changer is 50', so the suction isn't great.

I would not buy one with the squeeze pump start. I did but the outside must have dried and cracked. Not enough to leak water as it was suctioning but the crack substantially reduced the suction power of the vac.

Python water changer. Best investment for my fish. Makes WC fun, fast, no mess and easy.

I prefer the squeeze bulb. Had one for my salt tank and loved it. The one I have for the fresh tanks is too big for the 20 and 10 gallon tanks. I have a terrible time getting it going so I ordered an other sqeeze bulbs type.

Back
Top Bottom