Hurricane Preparedness: Air Stone Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADsnail

Aquarium Advice Freak
We may be facing hurricane strength winds in a few days here on the Gulf coast. Thanks to good advice on this site, I've purchased battery powered air stones in preparation for power outages.

The package says to set up the air stone and pump while electricity is still on, plugging it into the wall so that "Bubbles GO ON when power GOES OFF!"

My question: how long can they actually go before one needs the emergency kit bubbles to kick in? Should fish go no longer than a few minutes? An hour? 24 hours?

Thanks for your expertise.

Well this is a bit late now perhaps.

It depends upon how many fish are in the tank and how well aerated it was when the power goes off. When I was recently moving, the power was mistakenly left off and 24 hours later, all the fish were okay, but did look like they could use some air.

I hope all you and your fish are doing alright and are safe. And if you are out power, you have enough batteries.

Thanks for your reply. We had to leave - 100 degree heat index, no gas, no groceries. The air stone worked well but there was one thing I didn't count on: the house got so hot, the temperatures in the tanks rose very high, very fast. I did the old ice-cubes-in-a-ziplock trick until none of us in the neighborhood had any more ice. Then I turned to cool bottled water. Ultimately we had to pack up our favorites in small travel tanks, a jar with holes poked in the top, etc, and hit the road.

We got back yesterday, 12 days. No one left behind made it except the snails, who were as far above that stinky water as they could get.

One of our places got power on Sept 1st; the other didn't get it until five days ago. But the results were the same. Extreme heat and evaporation. Even Boudreaux the blue crawfish bit the dust >sob<. We thought since they live in a hot swamp naturally, he'd make it.

So today we're cleaning, setting up anew. And planning Boudreaux II.

Yes, horrible thing to happen. So sorry that every thing was miserable and sad.

Happy to hear you're planning a Boudreaux ll, and that you're making forward motion, and not stuck in despair. I can not really imagine the devastation of all that happened, to you and so many fish keepers all over. It would be so very hard.

I am glad you are okay. It sounds like the traveling ones made it?

Hope to see pics when you get things going again.

Thank you. The serious devastation they show on TV is south of us, land that's at water level even under normal circumstances. Here in the city we have the levee protection system which worked very well. Hurricane Ida is being compared to Katrina even by locals. There are some differences: Katrina broke the levees, which was the real tragedy. After billions spent on excellent upgrades, the levees are fine after Ida. Katrina blew for 6-7 hours; Ida battered us for 16 hours. So it was roof shingles, trees, and the wires that come down with them. So that was the crux of it: tree damage, no power, high heat.

It's something everywhere: ice storms or tornados or earthquakes, hurricanes, etc. Funny how one can be apprehensive of the disasters that are native to other regions yet when "our own" natural disaster happens we knuckle down amidst the sadness and get to work rebuilding. Having spent most of my life in the tropics, I'm terrified of snow and ice; I'll take a hurricane over that any day. Hurricane people often list earthquakes as their number one fear. And having lived in California for years, I heard many people say they'd never live in a hurricane zone.

Traveling with fish is interesting. Since we went to relatives in Florida, everywhere was hot. So we couldn't leave them in the truck. So we took fish into restaurants and hotels going to and from La-Fla. Most curious to me was the people who never said a word. Did they not notice? Not care? Didn't register? But a few people were delighted: these, it turned out, were fishkeepers.

Many jokes. One cook came out of the kitchen and commented how funny it was to save fish from flooding (the common assumption being that everywhere here was inundated with water). Friends were incredulous. "You took your fish into a restaurant? What did you order for them? Did you eat fish in front of them?" I told everyone I ordered a Captain's Platter for them. And yes, I ate fish in front of them to make sure they knew who was boss.

Today tanks are either totally cleaned out or a basic deep-clean water change was done. The fishugees (fish + refugees) are in tanks. Fish have memory! They checked out old haunts, rekindled old habits. The Betta blew three big bubble nests in one night - I've never seen him make so much. That's a big thumbs-up from him.

As I type this the big trucks are outside rumbling to pick up debris laying in the streets. It is astonishing how quickly they got power back on in the metro area. We thought it would be at least a month, as after Katrina. Their feet were to the fire, and they stepped up magnificently.

Fish stores are open. Things are looking up!

I have a suggestion for the fish tank industry: 1-gal tanks with handles. Secured from top to bottom because even a gallon can be heavy. We carried our small tanks around with hands wrapped around bottom/up sides, but it gets old. I wish there was something out there like the little Aqueon tanks with filters and lights but with a flip-up handle strongly attached to the whole thing, including the bottom. I personally would keep half a dozen here as part of my hurricane preparedness kit.

Thank you for sharing such a personal story and all about how it went for you.

I wanted to ask if there was any insight in a situation like this and then you posted about the 1G container.

Although not a 1G container, something which might work like a temporary tank is the 5G water containers we use to lug SW and RO/DI water from the SW lfs's.

Not sure on pricing where you are, but around here these containers come filled new from the lfs with SW (or you can get RO) for appx. $15-18.

When you were toting it around you could have the top tightened and then the air hole uncapped for air exchange (for a meal or in transit).

I think you could do something with the cap / have 2 caps???, one which seals down and one which has slots for air tubing and the heater (Not needed in summer down there!).

And this is a link just using for the pic. Because it has a little are vent on the end which comes sealed but you can cut it off if you wanted. It has a fairly large mouth to allow adding common size community fish, maybe 3-4". and room to add in a heater or bubbler of course.
https://www.grainger.com/product/3W...w7uzOqVI20DlufuhJqBoC-I8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Then you could tote it around with a folding hand dolly when you weren't leaving it at a relatives home or a hotel.

https://www.amazon.com/FCH-Folding-...ocphy=9028883&hvtargid=pla-570387376716&psc=1

I wonder about a smaller kind of container / tank.

Yes, you're right about regional disaster issues, being not that big of a deal. I can do Earthquakes, Tornadoes and snow/blizzards and ice if required, oh, and minor flooding.

And wanted to say how fun it was the attention from fish keepers and the cook!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. I looked at all of them.

It hadn't occurred to me to get a bigger carrier like those soft sided ones to lug small tanks - great idea. I was very conscious of not jarring the occupants as I carried them around. Such small containers could easily bash them against the sides.

Am I being too fussy to think that the opaqueness of the plastic 5g would disturb the occupants, i.e. they wouldn't be able to see out and that would stress them? Or maybe it's the opposite: not being able to see anything but their environment would calm them?

Maybe depends on if they are the nervous type fish. Honestly it shouldn't bother them. They can see light and dark that way, in the 5G tote. You might even mark off the bottom /lower portion and use some of the fusion spray paint on the outside and bottom, to make the area dark and "safe" feeling.

In a competition for the aquarium club I used black paper under my bare bottom tank (only glass tank and water no substrate or decorations) and my shrimp colored better than the others, because they felt more secure.

As for the bait container, at least there are a couple options. And the portable battery air pump and or and inverter for while the fish are in the vehicle, plug-in air pump.

Maybe while traveling "there" to your new location you could use the travel bait tote and then transfer them to the more sturdy 5G tote, for the extended stay. But to not spend a fortune on the little darlings, the 5G tote is a better option overall if you were only going to buy one item, at least would be for me.

A friend here has begun looking into solar power for her fish tanks in order to leave the occupants home in all situations (including vacations). She evacuated everyone for this hurricane, with many adventures and mishaps in making them comfortable. She was juggling kids, dogs, axolotls, and more, on the road for two weeks. "I have got to find another way" she says.

I'm investigating solar air pumps/pond oxygenators too. There are plenty on the market, but they all involve placing the solar panel outside. I am looking for something that works through the window. It may not work quite as well, but the sun is strong here so I hope I'm not too off base. I've watched a few videos from people who have a setup but nothing really addresses the particular situation the way we want to solve it.

The problem with placing it outside in daytime and carrying it inside is that the whole purpose is to have something working while one is gone. I suppose I could make a hole in the house to attach panels outside, running wires to the aquariums inside. Might not be an option for renters, among other issues.

This doesn't solve the problem of high water temps in hot climates (it would work for those of you who leave while it's cold and you need heaters running) and it doesn't solve the food issue. But...one thing at a time.

Do you use solar power for your indoor aquarium? Any ideas on this?

A friend here has begun looking into solar power for her fish tanks in order to leave the occupants home in all situations (including vacations). She evacuated everyone for this hurricane, with many adventures and mishaps in making them comfortable. She was juggling kids, dogs, axolotls, and more, on the road for two weeks. "I have got to find another way" she says.

I'm investigating solar air pumps/pond oxygenators too. There are plenty on the market, but they all involve placing the solar panel outside. I am looking for something that works through the window. It may not work quite as well, but the sun is strong here so I hope I'm not too off base. I've watched a few videos from people who have a setup but nothing really addresses the particular situation the way we want to solve it.

The problem with placing it outside in daytime and carrying it inside is that the whole purpose is to have something working while one is gone. I suppose I could make a hole in the house to attach panels outside, running wires to the aquariums inside. Might not be an option for renters, among other issues.

This doesn't solve the problem of high water temps in hot climates (it would work for those of you who leave while it's cold and you need heaters running) and it doesn't solve the food issue. But...one thing at a time.

Do you use solar power for your indoor aquarium? Any ideas on this?
Why can't you put PV on the roof?

This may be more than just buying a little something and setting it at the window or outside. I think I need someone experienced in solar power to run down all the options. Since we lease and attaching things to the house is not in the contract, the word "portable" is likely where I need to start. I am utterly ignorant of this stuff, and while there's always room to learn, my initial research shows that I'm becoming dumber, not smarter :blink:

I could point you in the right direction if you are UK based. I presume arent though because "hurricane". Ive installed PV on many buildings ive designed. My aunt has a PV installation in a small field. Better return for her investment than a pension. Doesn't have to be a choice between building mounted or portable, permanent installions can go on A frames on the ground. If you move take them with you.

There are many roadblocks, but humans love a good problem to solve. I know someone who engineers solar. Let me check some options, probably be a week or 2.

Hopefully there is someone around "here" who can problem solve it.

Thank you, Autumnsky.

Aiken Drum, I wish I could hire you here in New Orleans!

In hunting around I found this video, helpful in explaining what happens when setting solar panels inside. I'm still fuzzy on the details, but the point got through that there is much less power through glass. And that's with a south facing window, which I don't even have available.

And this one, a product that is just what I'm looking for (definitely at my level of understanding). Too bad it's only for charging devices.

Window Solar Charger (SOLD OUT)

If you had a battery storage /back up, like in a motor home for the solar panel it would be nice. Sometimes when people upgrade for their RV's they get rid of the older one, and it might be good enough for what you are looking for. There is a controller as well as part of it, not sure if that is exactly the real name of what it is called. You can look that up on how it works.

For the RV, a 2nd actual panel can be installed to help run lights, wall plugs and microwave if you are away from a service plug or don't want to use your generator, depending upon how many batteries you have it stores the power and you can run your things, and the solar of course recharges daily and you'd likely have enough power for running air pumps through the night. (For the RV there is a often a small solar power cell which basically just trickle charges the battery when it sits for a long time, I am referring to a larger one which is a full size added on)

I'm trying to attach some pictures from my computer but it just won't happen. The advice I was given here when I joined did work to upload at that time. But maybe the rules changed? They were: Write message and then scroll down to Manage Attachments, click that, then Choose File and my pictures show up. And on from there.

Problem is, there's no Manage Attachments anywhere on the screen. Nothing I click takes me to it, either. How to proceed?

Back
Top Bottom