Hydor Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Budda619

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I have a 30 gallon mixed reef and wanted to add more circulation to my tank. My return pump is the only circulation atm. I upgrade it to a syncra silent 1.5 because i didnt want a bulky powerhead in my DT. Thats a turn over rate of 10x. Planing on adding a hydor koralia nano pump.

Question is should i go with the 240 or 425? Taken in mind my return pump is already pumping at 357 gallons per hr. not sure if to much flow is bad or not

Is that return really putting out 357, accounting for head pressure?

I have 2 Nano 425s in my 20 gallon along with a HOB. Good flow, pristine water, and happy inhabitants.

Is that return really putting out 357, accounting for head pressure?

I have 2 Nano 425s in my 20 gallon along with a HOB. Good flow, pristine water, and happy inhabitants.

Not sure what its actually putting out at the end. Its traveling Up 16.5 inches before it reaches my dt. The syncra is rated at 357. Do you have a wave maker?

Here's the flow chart for it:
1008171227130_curve_syncras_05-10-15.jpg

It looks like it's down to approx 300gph at a little over a foot of head height.

Here's the flow chart for it:

It looks like it's down to approx 300gph at a little over a foot of head height.

Oh wow thanks. So my flow rate is around 10x. Is to much flow bad? Ive read 10x is good and 20x is Ok. but your tank is fine. is that because you have a wave maker?

Dunno. I only have ever had them on one at a time, cycling once an hour. The HOB also puts out about 100gph (probably less since I have Purigen and other stuff in it).

My clowns and skunk cleaner don't complain. I just turn off all pumps/filters before feeding. My sand bed doesn't get stirred up, either.

Dunno. I only have ever had them on one at a time, cycling once an hour. The HOB also puts out about 100gph (probably less since I have Purigen and other stuff in it).

My clowns and skunk cleaner don't complain. I just turn off all pumps/filters before feeding. My sand bed doesn't get stirred up, either.

I turn off my pumps before feeding too. I stopped stirring my sand but its starting to turn brown but thats another story. Im leaning toward the 425 but dont want the flow to be to strong

Brown sand is diatoms, they will go away on their own. Stirring the sand can make them worse as it exposes more "fresh" sand to the water, and it also doesn't help with keeping nitrates down. I don't touch the sand bed at all. I'm gonna leave that to my pistol shrimp.

Brown sand is diatoms, they will go away on their own. Stirring the sand can make them worse as it exposes more "fresh" sand to the water, and it also doesn't help with keeping nitrates down. I don't touch the sand bed at all. I'm gonna leave that to my pistol shrimp.

Yes i believe they are diatoms as well. They went away already, but they are starting to come back again. Trying to keep my phosphates and nitrates low. Thinking about a sand sifting goby

Back
Top Bottom