Hydrilla Verticillata

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know this is the WORST aquatic weed in the United States as far as rivers/lakes are concerned, but I wanted to ask if anyone here has had it in their aquarium.

I know it doesn't require much, light, but how much/little? How often were you trimming it up? Ferts/no ferts?

I want to get some dense plant growth for a school of boesmani rainbows- any recommendations AGAINST using hydrilla to on the ends of the tank?

Other tankmates are: Kissing Gourami, Rainbow Shark, Bristlenose Pleco.

Oh, could it be grown with two 6500k T8 bulbs WITHOUT CO2 or ferts?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I lived on a lake where we had hydrilla problems and my first thought is that it's way too big. The stuff was so thick that it was actually causing problems with propellers on high powered ski boats.

And it spreads so fast that State Law requires washing off propellers before putting a boat in a lake. Not an enforced law, more like a 'please be careful' message

I lived on a lake where we had hydrilla problems and my first thought is that it's way too big. The stuff was so thick that it was actually causing problems with propellers on high powered ski boats.

And it spreads so fast that State Law requires washing off propellers before putting a boat in a lake. Not an enforced law, more like a 'please be careful' message

Few bodies of water lack a hydrilla problem nowadays.

Introduced a bunch of hydrilla verticillata to my tank! I'll be removing the java fern, keeping the anubias until it gets out competed by the hydrilla. I was even able the remove a tuber from the lake I got it from! I should be heavily planted in no time...

Attached is before and after pictures if you pretend the one piece in the before isn't there. My last artificial plant is GONE!

That's about 2/3 of what I collected, I only used the greenest ones I had and of course they got a dip in a water/H2O2 mix.

Attachments

• 1404686207884.jpg
    1404686207884.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 1404686248950.jpg
    1404686248950.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 116
Back
Top Bottom