I am a failure with bettas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't beat yourself up over it. Hopefully he pulls through. They're always a bit timid at first anyways. Both mine hid for the first week or so Before they became very active. As long as you're keeping the water safe for him, that's the best you can do. I'd suggest you also go pick up the API master test kit, it's a liquid test kit that will out last and out perform the test strips. Just so you can be sure of the water parameters at all times. It's one of the best investments I've made since I started.

Poor little one finally succumbed and went over to the other side. And I don't mean the other side of the tank.

I have invested in the pro water test kit. I am testing tonight. I am betting the tests show nothing. I have a new theory. This was a bacterial infection that was introduced into the tank via the live plants.

More later -

There's always a menagerie of bacteria and pathogens present in tanks that can take advantage of an immunocompromised fish. It's possible that a secondary infection killed the fish, but the primary cause still needs to be addressed.

zero ammonia.
zero nitrite.
zero nitrate.
Ph 7.6 (we have very soft water here and I didn't treat it)
High-range Ph 7.4

So ........ there's that.

Mavi said:
Poor little one finally succumbed and went over to the other side. And I don't mean the other side of the tank.

I have invested in the pro water test kit. I am testing tonight. I am betting the tests show nothing. I have a new theory. This was a bacterial infection that was introduced into the tank via the live plants.

More later -

One of the reasons I lost one of my bettas was due to bad plants. I would recommend leaving out any plants until the first month of having a new Betta this way you can make sure that the environment is stable. There are certain baths you can give plants prior to introducing them in order to make sure they are clean. I don't know much about them but I'm sure somebody else here has info on introducing live plants to an established tank.

Mavi said:
Mooshy - I just saw that you suggested I do daily water changes for a month. Holy crap I had no idea. It seems illogical to a dummy like me that a proper biological system could ever be established when you are changing the water constantly. I will read what you all suggested about cycling. There is not so much commotion on the surface that the fish couldn't breath right, but building bubble nests is another thing. That concerns me. What if I leave the divider in, (hopefully) keep a betta on one side with a couple buddies, and then place the filter on the other side, which would contain fish other than bettas (maybe three neons, or something like that)?

If nothing else, I hope you all appreciate my determination!!!!!:)

Well the biological environment(good bacteria) builds up with in the gravel, decorations, aquarium walls and filter not only the water. Your thought process makes sense but the water changes are necessary in order to deal with the ammonia etc. build up.

If you feel that the filter might be a problem some people do place sponges right in from the of the flow in order to disperse the flow. You could give that a shot.

Your determination is admirable. Don't worry it will all pay off at the end. I experienced many difficulties and lost some Goldies when I first set up my Goldfish tank but I can assure that it will all pay off at the end. Learning new stuff is always fun too

One of the reasons I lost one of my bettas was due to bad plants. I would recommend leaving out any plants until the first month of having a new Betta this way you can make sure that the environment is stable. There are certain baths you can give plants prior to introducing them in order to make sure they are clean. I don't know much about them but I'm sure somebody else here has info on introducing live plants to an established tank.

I dip all my plants in a 100% solution of peroxide. Causes the snails to drop off kills whatever nasty is on them. I use a ziploc big enough for the plant and pour it straight on it in the bag. I slosh the bag too. then let it sit for 2-5 minutes. Then rinse under the tap and into a bowl of de-chlorinated water. Then straight into the tank.

I'll remember that suggestion, as well as other tips I've picked up here. I guess "the horse is out of the barn" as far as the plant I have in there already. I'm just going to keep monitoring the water and probably praying. I hope with constant monitoring, time, and less compromised fish it'll work out for me sometime soon.

But if one more of these freaking betta fish die on me I'm gonna call it a day on that species. I don't want to go down in history as the Hitler of betta fish.:lol:

Mavi said:
I'll remember that suggestion, as well as other tips I've picked up here. I guess "the horse is out of the barn" as far as the plant I have in there already. I'm just going to keep monitoring the water and probably praying. I hope with constant monitoring, time, and less compromised fish it'll work out for me sometime soon.

But if one more of these freaking betta fish die on me I'm gonna call it a day on that species. I don't want to go down in history as the Hitler of betta fish.:lol:

You can give Goldfish a try. I'll be more than happy to help you get started

Following this thread for reference. I hope the awesome people on this forum can help you as much as they've helped me!

vance1013 said:
No goldfish in a 10 gallon would work

She would need to upgrade eventually but 1 maybe 2 small fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon would work given you have good filtration and provide adequate water changes.

I currently have three (all about 1.5 inches)in a 20 gallon. With a 30 gallon HOB filter and an additional 30 gallon sponge filter and they are doing great.

True 'dat! Lots of cool people here.

How about a suggestion for a really great food, either flake or kibble, that would work for a betta and his buddy fish. I feed frozen blood worms and brine shrimp, but I also need something else.

I plan to fill in some personal info. here and keep plugged into this site. If I can figure out how to do anything beyond follow this thread!

I like omega 1 flakes and omega 1 betta buffet floating pellets. I've found some are picky and aren't trained to eat flakes. My male will only eat pellets. I assume they are fed pellets when they are raised, but my female will eat anything, so go figure...

Mavi said:
True 'dat! Lots of cool people here.

How about a suggestion for a really great food, either flake or kibble, that would work for a betta and his buddy fish. I feed frozen blood worms and brine shrimp, but I also need something else.

I plan to fill in some personal info. here and keep plugged into this site. If I can figure out how to do anything beyond follow this thread!

Blood worms & such are not meant to be their staple diet so a good pellet or flake is a good idea. I feed New Life Spectrum pellets, Top Fin Betta Bites & recently bought Omega One flakes for one of my male Bettas who has a hard time with any pellet. I also one or two days a week substitute frozen foods such as blood worms, brine shrimp & recently Daphnia for the pellets. Every Friday they're fasted. All of my Bettas are piglets so they eat pretty much anything.

Back
Top Bottom