I Can't Figure Out My Lighting Setup - 55 Gallon Planted Fish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodcatl493

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm setting up a 55 Gallon planted fish tank next summer.
I'll be having these plants:
Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Aquarium Plant Pack - Standard
The 55 Gallon option.

I'm thinking with the Amazon Swords and other light hungry plants I'll need a minimum of 3WPG. The problem is 55*3=165 watts. If I have two fixtures, each light would have to be 80 watts. The size of an 80 watt T5 is 5 feet. That's longer than the fish tank! I also want this to be a low tech fish tank. How can I find the correct wattage for the tank and the light bulbs for it? And still keep it a low tech tank?

I'm setting up a 55 Gallon planted fish tank next summer.
I'll be having these plants:
Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Aquarium Plant Pack - Standard
The 55 Gallon option.

I'm thinking with the Amazon Swords and other light hungry plants I'll need a minimum of 3WPG. The problem is 55*3=165 watts. If I have two fixtures, each light would have to be 80 watts. The size of an 80 watt T5 is 5 feet. That's longer than the fish tank! I also want this to be a low tech fish tank. How can I find the correct wattage for the tank and the light bulbs for it? And still keep it a low tech tank?

The key to this discussion is your calculation of 3wpg. Where did you get this information?

We don't calculate light in this way anymore.

Are you familiar with the Estimative index concept?

To put 3wpg in to perspective for you.

An experiment using the fastest growing aquatic plant species was setup and varying lighting levels measured in watts per gallon was shone upon them. At 5-6wpg of light at 30ppm co2 the plants reached their maximum uptake rate of nutrients. Anymore light than this did not increase growth rates further.

No one or very few people have 5-6wpg of light or even half that 3wpg.

3wpg is not necessary to grow slower growing plants like the ones you have listed. Without co2 addition you would require even less. This is probably the reason you are struggling to find the right size tubes.

If you want to grow slow growing plants faster or fast growing plants faster then by all means add more light but before you invest in a higher powered lighting fixture you should give the lighting you have a go first otherwise you will find yourself running in to lots of problems with algae.

Oh! I see! 3WPG was an estimate based on the things I had read...

Yeah, it's okay if the plants glow slowly because with school I might not even have time to look at the tank on some days.... I think 1.5WPG would be a good level based on the rate of growth I want.

Oh! I see! 3WPG was an estimate based on the things I had read...

Yeah, it's okay if the plants glow slowly because with school I might not even have time to look at the tank on some days.... I think 1.5WPG would be a good level based on the rate of growth I want.

That's more like it [emoji6]. If your plants are struggling at this lighting level then you may need to consider an additional carbon source. One step at a time though.

It's good to remember that things like "watt per gallon" or "inches of fish per gallon" or % water change are not set rules, but a way to get an estimated base line.

As said above, you have to perceive what works best in your tank, based on livestock and plants in the tank. Testing the water, LOOKING at your fish/plants to see if they're healthy all make tweaking generalized rules of thumb different for each scenario.

I see. I slight issue is that the T8 bulbs that fit in my light fixtures are 15 watts. I understand that WPG is a baseline but 0.5 WPG seems a bit under? 15 watts X 2 bulbs.

I see. I slight issue is that the T8 bulbs that fit in my light fixtures are 15 watts. I understand that WPG is a baseline but 0.5 WPG seems a bit under? 15 watts X 2 bulbs.

You'd be surprised bud. Reflectors will help concentrate the light you have and avoid any losses.

Oh! I forgot about those! So still I'll be okay?

Again. We don't use watts per gallon to evaluate our lighting these days. We use PAR however, even the classification of High, med and low lighting with regards to PAR cannot be solely agreed upon. Also you will never know what PAR you have without a decent PAR meter. This is why it is best to use trial and error.

Look here:

http://tropica.com/en/guide/make-your-aquarium-a-success/light/

Only one of the most successful aquatic plant distributors in the world would agree upon 'low light' plants requirements for light in wpg. Hopefully this will help put your mind at ease.

Not working out for you? Then we'll take it from there.

No, it's okay. I'm fine with trial and error, that's how you learn! We'll see how it goes then with those lights.

No, it's okay. I'm fine with trial and error, that's how you learn! We'll see how it goes then with those lights.

If u can't get the light u need with normal t5's u can always go shorter and get t5ho's and add reflectors (foil works fine) this will give u more than enough. But remember your better off going as low light as u can rather than having too much as higher light = more ferts more co2 and more algae

Yeah, I was thinking since I can only fit 15 watts bulbs just use some aluminium foil. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Back
Top Bottom