I Can't Win!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover101

Aquarium Advice Regular
So about a month ago my platy gave birth to 15 young fry. At first I moved the unexpected litter into a little 3 gallon to 5 gallon tank which will now be my new tank for all of my pregnant fish, like the mom who is expected in the next week or two. But right now my babies are in it while I get a breeder net for them in the adult tank, and over half have died because of being sucked up in the filter which some one else said would be fine to leave on and its not very powerful, but then i turned off the filter, down to my 8 little babies, and this film came over the top of the water... what is going on because the film 2 of my babies died so im hanging on what should I do while waiting for the breeder net i ordered! HELP!!!!!!!!!

There are a few simple things you can do.

If you want to leave your filter on:
Slip a sponge over the intake.
Or, slip a clean nylon stocking over the intake. I think nylons get clogged more easily, so I like using sponges. If it's a HOB filter, you can make a hole in a filter sponge (like an Aquaclear sponge) and stick the intake tube into the sponge. For nylons, put it over the intake and use a rubberband to secure it.

If you don't want to keep your filter on, and you don't like the protein film that forms on the water (it's harmless), you can easily use an airstone to provide oxygen and water circulation. Even better is to use a DIY sponge filter: get a filter sponge, stick an airline hose in it, and turn the airpump on. Instant sponge filter; they are used for fry/shrimp tanks because they are harmless and give the biological filter a place to colonize. Try putting the sponges you will use in an established filter for a little while to seed it a little faster.

You have a fish net right? Get the biggest one you have, put the fry in it, and bend the handle over so that the net doesn't fall out of the tank. Instant breeder net.

Oh, and if you're unclear on how to make a sponge filter, check out tutorials on youtube. There are several.

I would keep the filter on, definitely. But as gabysapha suggested, cover it with a stocking/panty hose to keep the fry from being sucked in. You will need to clean it regularly though as the debris get's stuck to the stocking.

I've made sponge filters before but I've been unable to get them to stay at the bottom of the tank! I can weight them down with rocks etc. but then they just don't work as well. :(

cheeky_monkey said:
I would keep the filter on, definitely. But as gabysapha suggested, cover it with a stocking/panty hose to keep the fry from being sucked in. You will need to clean it regularly though as the debris get's stuck to the stocking.

I've made sponge filters before but I've been unable to get them to stay at the bottom of the tank! I can weight them down with rocks etc. but then they just don't work as well. :(

I wedge the sponge filter down between hardscape items- might not look pretty but it works. I've also seen sponge filters made by putting gravel in an empty fish food container, putting in the sponge filter, and capping it with more gravel. It keeps the sponge weighed down and gives the biological filter more surface area to colonize. and it might be easier to hide behind decor/plants. Interesting!

Back
Top Bottom