I didn't want to start another tank... I had to...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zezmo

Aquarium Advice Addict
As I was explaining to my Girlfriend, it's not that I wanted another tank, I just needed one. So I have my main "show" tank which is my 55g. So quite a while back, I set up a quarantine tank in the other room. Over time I started keeping my plant clipping in there, and some juvenile fish that were not quite ready for the main tank. Well the plant clipping kind of ended up filling that tank, so I set up a plant grow out tub in the garage.
So the Q tank I left some plants in there, and actually arraigned them and such, added some driftwood. All to keep little Miss Goldie happy. She is a juvenile Marigold Swordtail I am raising. I also put a bunch of Ghost shrimp in there. A recent thread on this board talking about their high mortality rate inspired me to set up a Shrimp friendly environment, and see if I can start breeding them. They do ok in the main tank, but ultimately Ghosties in there get eaten within a month or two. If I breed them myself, they should be well acclimated and healthier when I feed em to the main tank. Plus, in a low stress environment, it turns out they are real interesting to watch.
So since I er, accidentally turned my Q tank into a shrimp hatchery. And my other tanks... well I had to put my Dwarf Gourami fry in one. And in the other small tank I had to put the rainbow fish eggs I harvested last week (they finally hatched last night...oh boy more baby Rainbow’s). The last rainbows I hatched are over 2 inches long now and in the main tank.
Well this is all good, and of course I have to explain that..yes, I do need 5 tanks going, and besides the plant growout “tub” is not technically a tank. ;-)
So this weekend, one of my male Parkinsoni Rainbows was looking a bit “thin” so I decided to take him out to a quarantine tank, and feed him a course of antibiotics. I use a food with antibiotics in it, this has worked very well for me in treating many “mysterious” fish ailments, plus being in the food, I don’t need to worry as much about its overall affect on my water. The problem is, I used all my tanks, and the one open one is really a Herp tank with a screen lid. So I headed down to my LFS and bought a 10 gallon with lid… $20. I had filters and heaters galore so setting up the rest was easy. I keep an extra HOB filter running on another tank for just such an occasion. So some water from the main tank, an already “cycled” filter, and voila precycled Quarantine tank ready to go. Of course, as you can see I had no choice…I had to set this tank up. ;-)

Your reasoning sounds great. I hate having to explain myself to my roommate, yes I need a bigger tank because the fish grew, and since the tank is now too big and lonely, I need a friend for my fish, and therefore I need the old tank set up a bit longer for a Q tank. Perfect reasoning I think.

Zezmo, you really should consider selling your story to a major publishing house. I have never read such a touching piece in my entire life. The "sacrifices" that you have made are nothing other than stupendous.

(I wonder if my wife would fall for it as well... :wink:)

Jc, your wife would go for it, if there was a kitten in it! MTS...it's a wonderful thing. We just bought another tank yesterday, but have nowhere to set it up :?

LOL. MTS strikes again! There is no known cure for this, I have been told. Only purchasing more tanks will ease the symptoms temporarily.

Aquariums are like the tribbles from Star Trek - they are practically born pregnant. You just turn around and more have mysteriously appeared.

Heh, thanks folks= ;-)

I am glad someone understands. When I first came here I used to say, man these folks are out of control with thier multiple tanks, thinking I only needed one fish tank to satisfy me (er I mean satisfy the fish, I swear it is all just for thier benefit)..... lol... I could not have been more wrong.

Back
Top Bottom