I dunno what this is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I believe these fish are Olive Perchlets- an Australian native species. I had ordered 'glass perch' but no matter.....

These arrived at the lfs as feeder fish, and I was unprepared for their sudden arrival (months ago now). I couldn't quarantine them, as that tank had a gazillion (give or take) BNP fry in it so I was having to use a 5 gal or so tank for quarantine. Too small for the 9 perchlets, so in they went with my big gold spot pleco and a few BNP fry (OMG the never ending succession of fry!)
So fast forward a bit, and I discover that they had brought internal parasites with them. My pleco had a hollowed out belly, wouldn't eat and hid all the time (uncharacteristic for him). The perchlets were very skinny and would just spit food out.
So I got rid of the parasites (there was another thread about that) and everyone seemed healthy and happy. For a while.
Then these white blobs grew on the faces (mouth/nose? Do fish even have noses??? Lol)

image-465853035.jpg

image-177581898.jpg

Only a few of them have it, and I have tried, singly and in various combinations:
Tetracycline, trisulfa, kanaplex, salt, high temp, low temp, complete darkness, 50% pwc every 3 days.

I have had no deaths, but also no cures.

Any ideas?

How much salt? How long did you treat with the kana and how did you dose (ie, daily, every other day, etc)?

How much salt? How long did you treat with the kana and how did you dose (ie, daily, every other day, etc)?

Seems I neglected to note in my log what I was treating for, but around the middle of may, I gave 3 treatments of metro- each treatment included a 30% pwc before dosing with 5 scoops of metro, 2 days apart. ( those were the directions on the tube)
Over the next 13 days I simply did 1x 50% and 3x 30% pwc.
Then I treated with 5x trisulfa tabs, plus 10 scoops of kanaplex, and added 2 tbsp Aq salt.
2 days later, 25% pwc and another 10 scoops of kanaplex, and 2 tbsp salt.
1 day later, treated with 5 trisulfa
Next day, 1tbsp salt and 10 scoops kanaplex.
Then I have no treatments except water changes for the next 4 weeks.
So at the end of June I started treating with 4 scoops of oxymav every day for three days. I also made a salt solution (1tbsp Epsom salt, 3tbsp Aq salt and 3 tbsp marine salt in 2 litres of treated water) and began adding it to the tank over 2 the next 2 days( half a cup every 2 hours)
During this treatment I kept the tank blacked out.
I followed this with 50% pwc every 2 days (keeping up the salt - dosing 50:50 marine and aquarium salt)
Now I don't seem to have thought of logging the temps so I can't help with that as I don't remember- though I do remember starting high, and then going lower when I started the antibiotics.
My highly detailed log ( not!) simply says, 6 days after the last dose of oxymav, 'fish all healing up' with a smiley face. Well I'm not smiling now, because this stupid log isn't much help at all, and describes a lunatic trying to murder her fishes!!! :facepalm:
So maybe the blobs were getting smaller and have grown again with 3 weeks of nothing but pwc every 3 days?

Thanks! I fear I may be a bit confused here as well with your treatments. Ok, did they have this prior and one of the meds cleared it (or appeared to clear it)? Which med and how long did you treat for? I think part of the issue here is no one med seems to have been used long enough to knock this out for good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom