I got my first fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbahseng

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wohoo, after a few weeks of research and prepare, I finally got 6 zebra danio to cycle my new tank. Right now they seem a little bit stress, swim away quickly when i look at them closely. I'm feeding them twice a day with some tetra flake and do you guys think twice a day is enough for them?

And i would like to get some plant too, possibly some amazon sword or java fern. Should i wait for a week when there is some nitrate in the water before adding the plant or is it ok to add them right now.

And after all, i want to thank robertmarda, targaboy78, corvuscorax, fishfreek, stargurl, hisc1ay and Grant R for answering my questions and the advice you guys gave :D .

As for your Danios, mine fly around the tank at all times, its what they do, apparently! Zip zip zip!

Inso far as plants, how much light do you have, and what kind of substrate?

Java fern is almost unkillable, but a sword plant needs some decent light, not just a single strip light, at least a double strip.

Ok, with 20 watts you can have java fern, and I have had luck with various vallisineria species, Jungle val, and/or valisineria subulata. They have done just fine in my 20gallon with only 15 watts of light. An amazon sword will probably wither away over time. There may be others, but those are the low light plants that have worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom