I got my setup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NetBloke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone.

Well I ended up buying a whole lot of stuff from a lady that had been looking after her sons old fish. So instead of just getting the Walmart 55 Gallon setup, I bought the following:

1 * 55 gallon and stand with hood
3 * 30 gallon with stands
1 * 10 gallon

A whole lot of crappy walmart filters ( but they do the job)
1 nice marineland emperor filter that needs cleaning up and new bio wheels (anyone know of a cheap place online for these?)
At least 7 air pumps
A box of miscellaneous items
Rocks and gravel galore

Oh and two pairs of Blue Ollies, at least 50 Yellow Cichlids and a huge old Mexican cichlid. If anyone has a better idea, or other names for these I would appreciate it. I want to breed the Blue Ollies and keep a few3 pair of the Yellow Cichlids, and "Grandpa" the mexican cichlid is going into my office for companionship!

All up it was $420. Not a bad deal but it took all weekend to clean up the tanks. They were so bad. I still need to clean a few things like some of the filters, but I didn't want to shock the fish with too clean an environment to start with.

I now have my display tank (the 55 gallon) in my entry foyer, a 30 Gallon in my home office, and everything else on a shelf and a bench I got from Menards in the basement. Yep a fish room! Pretty cool I though.

If anyone can recommend some good places online to get plants, or if you have some extras you would like to sell let me know. I have found a few places but have never bought like that online. The local stores do not have much in the way of plants, so I figure once I get a few started I will have to produce my own (I hate the fake plants I currently am using, I just have them as the fish like them).

When I get a chance I will take some photos and share them all with you.

Nathan

Nathan~
Way to go on your purchase of the tanks! Sounds like a really good deal! You must be pretty proud of yourself!

You mentioned live plants in your tank. Are you going to put live plants in the cichlid tank? Just an FYI, Most cichlids are plant diggers and gravel movers from hell, especially mbunas. Also alot of plants have a hard time growing in alkaline water because of the high levels of magnesium. There are a few plants cichlids don't much care for and can handle alkaline water; java fern is one and the anubias family. You may consider putting your plants in pots if they are to be with cichlids.

I can't wait to see pics of your new tanks! I'm so excited!
~Melissa~

Back
Top Bottom