I have a 5.5 gallon betta tank have question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DustyAnn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have two female bettas and one male betta they are separated by a divider with plenty room from the top so they can't jump in with each other. The male betta seems happy as he is always building bubble nests. One female is very active and likes to flirt at the divider with the boy. I think the two females have established their pecking order. I am worried as the more flirtatious female seems to chase the other female around their side. Do u think she will hurt the other female? I'm considering another divider for the females.

Female's can certainly be aggressive towards each other and have the potential like any fish to inflict damage or to the point of stressing another into illness. Stress in fish like humans can have very negative effects on health. Plus 3 betta's in a 5.5g is way to small to provide long term health and well being, it's the minimum for one not three.

HUKIT said:
Plus 3 betta's in a 5.5g is way to small to provide long term health and well being, it's the minimum for one not three.

+1

If you don't already have a tank to move the two female bettas to, I'd suggest you get one and fishless cycle it. Three bettas in a 5g tank is way too many.

I have two female bettas in my 20g community tank, and can tell you that they get along just fine with neither fish chasing around the other one. They also have a ton of swimming room, which is good for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom