I have an Algae problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macrosill

Aquarium Advice Freak
So this is my first algae problem. This tank is a 10 gallon fw. A few days ago I noticed algea growing on the decor inside the tank. Semms to be mainly on the fake plants, mostly yhe silk ones. It looks like little dark green or black cotton balls. It is easy to remove. I did not detect any odor. I think it may be bba but I am not sure. I can't seem to find any good algae pics anywhere. The ones I have found do not look like these little dark green or black cotton balls. I have kept the lights off for about 3 days now. I have not covered the tank, just kept the lights off. Here are my water parameters: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 15 and ph 7.2

Thanks,
Brian

Cover the tank for three days. Make sure it is completely dark in there. I just went through this. I used two layers of towels. Even if the lights are off, the natural light will feed it. Also, cut way back on the food.

My problem is that there are a lot of windows in my house and natural light hits it during the day when I am gone. I have a new house and no verticles on my slider door yet. It is feeding the algae all day. Until my blinds are up, I am covering the tank during the day.

I just did this last week and it works. I promise. I had algae bloom. It cleared it up perfectly.

I agree. Black out the tank as a first measure. But make sure NOT to peek or feed the fish. They will be fine. Do a 50% water change after you take the cover off to remove dead algae. Otherwise, that dead algae will decay, and cause you even more trouble. Also, can you give us the current fish in your tank? Siamese Algae Eaters are one of the only known fish to eat Brush Algae. If you have room, that may be an option, IF the black out doesn't work.

I have 1 Black Molly, 2 White Tetras, 1 Neon tetra and 3 Cory Cats. I know now this is not a great mix but it is what the kids liked a year ago.

I have the tank covered with towels now. We shall see what happens.

Thanks,
Brian

It really worked well for me and I had algae bloom. I had my doubts. My tank was all cloudy. It will work. I know it is hard to keep it covered.

I took the towels off today. It has been 3 days. I am missing a fish, it was there before. I still had some algea on the decorations. I took all the decos out rinsed them off and are letting them dry out for a few days. Hopefully this will kill any leftover algea. I also noticed some of that green algea that developes on the glass and is really hard to get off. I did back to back 80% pwc's. I hope I got this taken care of.

Brian

For algae on the decorations, run them under very hot water, it will kill pretty much any algae on them, then rub the algae off when the deco has cooled.

Teh greenspot on the glass can be removed easiest with a magfloat (scrubber that uses a magnet so you move 1 half on the outside of the tank and the other side scrubs the inside of the glass).. They can be purchased just about anywhere, I think even petsmart has them.

Green spot algae that forms on my tank will only come off with an algae scraper, or razor blade.

The Mag-Float just happily glides over it and doesn't budge it.

The Mag-Float just happily glides over it and doesn't budge it.

Mine must be special then because it works with very little effort on my tank, I wasn't theorizing, it's what I use. I use the one that came free with Tetra Whisper filters.

Hmm. Maybe I just need a new mag-float. Otherwise, the stuff hardly comes off with an algae pad. Its stubborn. My algae scraper has been the only thing that will budge it.

was there any PO4 present? What about measures to keep PO4 down? Why was all the advice centered around the blackout treatment? And then the blackout treatment wasn't even outlined in a way that could be followed, like the lenght of time and what to use, or a link maybe?
You might want to invest in a PO4 testkit.
If you find your having PO4 problems then feeding and cleaning practices could be visted and possible long term solutions to your problems could be looked into.
How about how much natural daylight is hitting your tank, any sothern facing windows near your tank?
have I been gone to long? :?

I used to use a Mag Float and it didn't do anything for the spot algae. Nothing worked except for an algae scraper. If it works for you, that's great! Some of us are not so lucky. :D

GM- The amount of time and how to do it was mentioned.

I see the amount of time, and Ive seen longer amounts of time in the past, Even I'm confused.

And once more why were the other topics I brought up not discussed?

Why was all the advice centered around the blackout treatment? And then the blackout treatment wasn't even outlined in a way that could be followed, like the lenght of time and what to use, or a link maybe?

Usually, this is a good first step, IMHO. The length of time and what to use was definitley mentioned.

Macrosill, how is the tank looking today?

In all the years I have kept fish I have so rarely had a problem with algae that I didn't understand what all the fuss was about. Then a heavily stocked and established tank that sits on my desk in front of a window suddenly broke out in a huuuge algae bloom. It was everywhere. Not wanting to fuss with it, but still annoyed, the only thing I did was scrape it off of the front panel of glass from time to time. It would grow back almost in one day's time. The strange thing is that after maybe 6 weeks of this insane algae growth the algae suddenly disappeared overnight. I looked in the tank and the algae was almost entirely gone when the day before it had been gooped on everything. Thus far it has not returned. *Shrug* Procrastination has to work out once in a while I guess.

Devilishturtles said:
Why was all the advice centered around the blackout treatment? And then the blackout treatment wasn't even outlined in a way that could be followed, like the lenght of time and what to use, or a link maybe?

Usually, this is a good first step, IMHO. The length of time and what to use was definitley mentioned.

Macrosill, how is the tank looking today?

I understand that it is a first good step when you know that everything else is going just fine. Assuming your not overfeeding and have cleaned the intake and internal workings of the filters regualrly, syphoned the tank correctly, yada yada yada.. but if these things are not done you can black out the tank untill your blue in the face and it wont do anything but clear up the tank temperarily.
I was just currious why it was approched this way.. but meh maybe Im just being silly? :roll:

Ok.. how about have you syponed the gravel, even under the decor. and have you cleaned the intake internal surfaces of your filter? and then black it out?

Back
Top Bottom