I have an Algae problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the original advice was pretty simple:

Cover the tank for three days. Make sure it is completely dark in there. I just went through this. I used two layers of towels. Even if the lights are off, the natural light will feed it. Also, cut way back on the food.

That is a methodology everyone can understand. As I recall, this is an advice thread, the advice was posted and from what the OP states, it worked.

Okay, sorry I was not here yesterday. I have returned! To reiterate what I have done thus far: I blacked out the tank for 3 days. The algea was still there. It looked like little very dark green or black cotton balls, mostly on the fake plants and ceramic decoations, nothing on the glass or plastic filter parts. I took out all the decos and scrubbed and rinsed them well. They are now drying out for a few days. I vac'ed the gravel really well. I usually vac once a month. I did back to back 80% pwc to get as much of the algae out of the tank. I put some pvc elbows in the tank for the fish to hide in, nothing else in the tank except the gravel. I also cleaned the filter intake tube. I have never cleaded the filter itself, other than a wipe down during pwc and filter replacement when it no longer flows water. I don't know what PO4 is. The tank is on the north side of the house, no direct sunlight at all. So far so good, no algae has come back but I did notice the green spot algae on the glass when I was cleaning it, never had that before.

Thanks for all the help,
Brian

Edit: I read up on PO4 or phosphates. I have never tested for them before. I usually do 20-40 % pwc weekly. Wouldn't the pwc get rid of PO4? If not what should I be doing differently?

for the magnet cleaners. you need to get th right calibration for it. the intensity of the magnet. i forget what company sells a good one but my lfs told me when they first were introduced saying if you get too strong of a magnet you wont be able to remove it from the glass! tall tales? or truth .. tell ya though

i wish i had massive amounts of coraline algea that i was upset to take off my glass! !

Macrosill said:
Edit: I read up on PO4 or phosphates. I have never tested for them before. I usually do 20-40 % pwc weekly. Wouldn't the pwc get rid of PO4? If not what should I be doing differently?

If all is well then sure you shouldn't have an accumulation of PO4 and normal water changes should take care of it. But you did mention that you had never cleaned out the intake or the interiour of your filter, and that you didn't clean out your filter pads when flow becomes restrictive (you said you dont replace them untill the water stops).
If you haven't cleaned out your filter yet and would not like a repeat performance of the alage outbreak I would suggest that you clean it soon (break it down and clean all parts, including the impeller and it's housing) This can normaly be done monthly IME.
Also.. just make sure your not overfeeding, one of the biggest sources of PO4 is rotting fishfood.
Im glad that the blackout helped. IME its just not a long term solution, the sorce of the exess nutrents (PO4) needs to be eleminated or you'll have more algae to look forward to (I never liked that much.. :p )
good luck :p

Greenmanji,
I haven't cleaned the filter. I have swished out the filter pad in tank water when the flow becomes restricted but I don't replace it until that no longer works. Sorry if I did not explain it fully. I feed once a day, only a small amount that the fish will eat in a few minutes. I will get a PO4 test when I order a new AP aster kit in a week or two.
Thanks for all the help everyone,
Brian

My only concern is that if you didn't clean your filter regularly it becomes a source of nutrents for alage.. your feeding sedual sounds fine, but do you turn the filter off durring feedings? If not then you have food in the filter that's been there since the last time you cleaned it.
I still would suggest you clean your filter..
and syphon under all decorations, do regular gravel vac's and other rotine maintace to help prevent algae from returning.
Hopefull you won't have a rebound of algae before you have a chance to test the water with your new testkits. Your N and PO4 results should give you a good idea as to how much more maintance your tank is needing.

Green,
Thanks, you have been the most detailed in your explanations and reasoning for doing things. I do turn off the filter during feedings. I regularly do everything you listed in the second half of your post above. I will be sure to clean the filter on a regular basis from now on.

I do have a question though. My father-in-law has about 30 tanks in his basement, ranging in size from 125 gal down to 10 gal and everything in between. They are all freshwater except for 1 brackish with mollies. He never does any maintenance except to add water due to evaporation. No filter changes, vac's, pwc's, glass cleanings, nothing. Sometimes the water level goes so low that it sound like there is a waterfall in the tank. He nevers has any problems at all. All the tanks are very lightly stocked and he very rarely loses a fish. Why do so many have so many problems when they keep up with maintenance and my father-in-law never seems to have a problem? It is probably just luck or the lack of. Anyway, enough ranting.

Thanks again,
Brian

I dont belive in luck..

If you have hard water and high NO3 it can cause stagnent but consistant results.. can your father-in-law go to the pet store and get a new fish and have it survive in one of his old tanks?
Usually, when tanks have been taken care of like that the only fish that can live in them are the ones that have had to adapt to the sorry maintance in the first place. And if your think about it, if you have a lightly stocked tank and good maintance your fish should be expiring of old age.. actually with just a bit of extra maintaice (larger water changes then whats normaly suggested these days) my experince has been you lose fish of old age.

By the way.. it sounds like your on top of things.. thats good to hear.. :D

I agree with greenmaji. If your father tried to add a new fish into his tank, they would likely die. Fish have great abilities to adapt to their surroundings.

BTW, glad to hear that you algae is under control.

Back
Top Bottom