I have Fry in my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JWitter

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I recently posted here some picture of a couple of Peggy fish I thought I had, well I see some babies in my tank. So far it seems as if the fish are having the fry one every couple days? Does thag sound right? Or many I just dont see them. The parents are keeping the curious other fish away from the babies as well. I have seen a total of 5 fry so far, 3 from one fish and 2 from the other, they both still look very pregnant and always hide unless I put food in the tank. Anyways this is my first experience with fry so I am doing my best. So that makes 3 red and black, and two black and gold platy fry I can find.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here is the largest guy, he is black and gold platy, the 2nd picture is of two very small red with black tail platy they are just to the right of the blue plant hiding against the leaves mid picture.

Attachments

• 1428361995428.jpg
    1428361995428.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 1428362016111.jpg
    1428362016111.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 62
It can take a few days for all to be born. Stress can cause them to deliver too early or take more time to deliver. You probably have a lot more in there if the other fish haven't eaten them. Live bearers will eat their young. The guarding behavior is not something they usually do. Once they deliver them their job is done and they see the little fish as nothing more than food or competition for food. If you have lots of hiding places that the big fish cannot get into more babies will make it. Make sure to crush up the food really fine so the little ones can eat it.

My count is up to 9, there are a ton of hiding places in the tank, the 3D background has a bunch as well as under a few ornaments so they will do fine against the other fish. I have been grinding extra food for them and dropping on opposite side of the tank where I feed the adult fish. I counted them all this evening during feeding :)

How many on average do the fish deliver during one pregnancy? All of them are the same size except the one which is several times larger, I can recall seeing him for about two weeks now. From the others I've now seen they seem to be from both mothers.

Platys will have 20-30 fry at a time. After you have a pregnant platy it will give birth three times about once a month. Might want to consider getting a breeding trap you will be able to save more of the fry

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should start thinking about what to do with the fry. Live bearers make lots of babies. Some fish stores will take them, some will not. You can also post them on here or other classifieds. Or you could get a fish that will eat them. I know that sounds cruel but it is a normal part of the animal kingdom. You do not want your tank to get over crowded. You could also separate male and females into separate tanks. The females are not hard to tell from the males. The females will have several birthings from one breeding but once they use that up, no more fry.

Ah good to know, I guess I will need to explore separation and giving some away. It is a 29g tank and I have 12 adult 1" fish already in there. Now the 9 or more babies and I am nearing my limit. If they have another few rounds of births I will be in a world of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom