I Have Some Bad News...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UPDATE:

Sterilization process proceeding; just about complete -- I rinsed all the inside glass surfaces of the tank with scalding hot water once again, via wiping them down with a sponge dipped in a bucket of the hot water, and I used Formula 409 and then glass cleaner on the OUTER surfaces of the glass. What's left now is a few inches of water at the bottom of the tank which I can't suck out with the new Top Fin syphon we bought; the level is too low, so I am struggling with that...

Soon, I will turn my attention to the filters and their media -- I have new Aqueon cartridges at the ready, but I need fresh media for the AquaClear 110 (the sponge block insert and ceramic rings)...I also have to begin washing down the new gravel in hot water to put into the tank and buy a new one-piece glass versa-top for this 60 gallon (the two separate glass tops I had previously are absolutely DRENCHED in a white, mucky lime filth so I am just going to toss them), plus new airline tubing and new bubble bars (Petco)...until eventually I can figure out a way to get the lime deposits off my HOBs' plastic covers.

Also -- I noticed that my AquaClear's u-shaped intake tube is caked in brown algae and diatoms and other slime, and no matter how much boiling hot water or Formula 409 I put into it, the muck just won't break off. I was going to try a pipe cleaner of some kind to reach in there and scrape the stuff off, but I think I'd rather just replace the u-tube...does anyone know where I can get this piece really, really cheap but brand new (an AquaClear 110 u-shaped intake tube replacement)?

If anyone can assist with any insight, it would be greatly appreciated; forgot to mention that in my last post...:hide:

Thank you! :thanks:

glass top solution

i have used my garbage can too soak my glass top before i filled it with hot water then poured 1 whole gallon of white vinegar in and just let soak maybe 24 hrs then if you cant get all of the hood in at one time just swap ends and soak another 24 hrs then take a pot scubber pad with no chemicals and use some elbow grease and the top should clean up fine anyway thats what i use to do and then you want have to spend that money

UPDATE:

Tank has been sterilized and dried; new gravel has been washed and put in, creating a gentle "upward slope" with the thicker parts of the gravel bed going up toward the back of the tank so I can easily plant the taller flora when it's time...

I may need to run out to Petco and get those bubble bars now so I can bury them before any water or decor goes in...

i have used my garbage can too soak my glass top before i filled it with hot water then poured 1 whole gallon of white vinegar in and just let soak maybe 24 hrs then if you cant get all of the hood in at one time just swap ends and soak another 24 hrs then take a pot scubber pad with no chemicals and use some elbow grease and the top should clean up fine anyway thats what i use to do and then you want have to spend that money

Hi Sheilak,

Thanks for the tip; perhaps I will consider that because there's a lot of other stuff we need to buy for this tank and our funds are running low...:hide:

Although, these tops ARE in really bad condition from the salt, calcium and lime deposits...let me see how much a one-piece glass versa top is and check back...

Thanks again! (y)

I agree with the vinegar suggestion. It should break down the white deposits. I'd try that before spending an arm and a leg on new parts. $5 for vinegar vs $45 for a new top. Worth the shot imo

Hi Guys,

Thanks for both of your inputs; they're greatly appreciated as I attempt to piece this tank back a bit at a time...

You guys were right -- while I didn't have any vinegar to do the vinegar/hot water method, I did decide to keep the Aqueon 24" versa top and the Marineland Perfecto 24" Glass Canopy from the old setup and just brought them over to the bathtub for a hot water soaking and dosing in Forumla 409 anti-bacterial spray. I sprayed hot scalding water on the tops first, front and back, then sprayed them with 409, then used paper towel to scrub and get the muck and crusty deposits off the best I could, then rinsed with hot water again, and they look almost like new...

I suppose that's the best I'm gonna get right now; at least it was money saved!

Thanks for the tips, again, fellas; later, we're going to run to Petco to pick up the two new bubble bars and some new airline tubing for the air pumps, and right now I am going to attempt to clean out at least the Aqueon filter to get it up and running (after I put water in the tank) because I don't have the new media yet for the AquaClear...

Are you aware you can just buy a bag of poly fill and use that? Even though media isn't expensive compared to other things, it might be worth looking into. Have you looked around the diy forum? Perhaps you could get some ideas there?

Are you aware you can just buy a bag of poly fill and use that? Even though media isn't expensive compared to other things, it might be worth looking into. Have you looked around the diy forum? Perhaps you could get some ideas there?

Yes, I know I can use polyfill -- but I would rather just get the media pieces that are designed for the AquaClear HOB (the sponge insert and ceramic bio rings) as I just feel more comfortable running them...

Thank you, though, smomus! Right now, I'm in the process of using an anti-lime chemical my wife informed me we had in the house to scrub down the filter housings...I'll let you know how that goes! :huh:

After all the work you have been putting into cleaning this tank it better sparkle huh! Bet you can't wait to sit back and just enjoy it again..

After all the work you have been putting into cleaning this tank it better sparkle huh! Bet you can't wait to sit back and just enjoy it again..

Indeed; unfortunately, because it was in such bad shape, the whole setup doesn't look quite 100% new (scratches on the inside of the glass, some areas of lime that just will not come out, etc.) but it is sparkling way beyond what it was doing during the bacteria infestation, that's for sure!

I hit a couple of snafus: First, the lime cleaning chemical we had in the house didn't really remove the lime deposits off the HOB plastic covers, unbelievably, even after soaking in a mixture of hot water...I am soaking them again, but I remain doubtful. Also, when I was mixing the new gravel a bit after I washed it and put it back at the bottom of the tank, one of the Aqueon glass tops fell in and chipped a piece off the side, like just a sliver, so I have to find a way to glue that together now...:nono: :banghead: :(

And, unfortunately, my wife bought too much of the Top Fin natural-colored stones/gravel for our tank, and I was stupid enough to break every bag open and pour it in, and now we have WAY too thick of a substrate bed in there...I don't know what to do, because we can't return the extra gravel now and I'm not even certain how much I should really be using anyway...we don't want a thin layer because in the last setup, the substrate was difficult to get the plastic plants to anchor into, but what I have now is just ridiculous...it's almost like a bit less than half the tank is substrate...:eek: :eek: :banghead: :banghead:

But, yeah -- I cannot wait to sit back and enjoy the tank again with some new goldies and fresh, clean water!

I don't want to be a wet blanket but is 409 safe to use inside a aquarium? Usually all types of cleaners shouldn't be used. I would hate for you to have anymore problems.

I don't want to be a wet blanket but is 409 safe to use inside a aquarium? Usually all types of cleaners shouldn't be used. I would hate for you to have anymore problems.

No, it probably isn't safe -- but I REALLY scrubbed this tank down with scalding hot water after the 409 and peroxide treatments and it seems very, very sterile...we're not going to introduce any life to it until I get the water circulating and at least one filter up and running. There was no way, though, that I could use nothing on the glass because of the bad bacterial infection that hit the tank...

UPDATE:

I am happy to report that the 60 gallon is up and running! We bought new Petco bubble bars (2x18") and an Oriental/Chinese palace ornament (just to have something in there at least for now while we decide on aquascaping design), and the Aqueon QuietFlow 55 is re-established and running with brand new media (carbon cartridges). I still need to get media for the AquaClear 110 though, online (the local Petco we visited didn't have the sponge block or ceramic rings in the size we needed for the 110)...

I turned everything on and the tank looks AMAZING -- I've NEVER seen it this clean and glass-smooth and just so transparent...it was a lot of hard work, but the tank truly looks sterile and brand new. The water is CRYSTAL CLEAR, but of course, this is without any fish going in, so...

Okay, well, while the Aqueon 55 is running and getting re-established in terms of bacteria, I dropped some heavy doses of Prime in the water, so what should be my next plan of attack? Should I begin dosing with Stability right away to kick-start the cycle? I need to also start thinking about decor...all we have in there right now is the new natural-colored gravel, the bubble bars (buried under the gravel along the back wall) and the one Chinese temple ornament. My wife wants to do the Asian theme in this one, as we're going to keep fancy goldfish again, but I wanted to do the natural aquascaping with rock caves and lots of green plants -- does anyone have any suggestions in terms of designing a layout that could incorporate the Asian theme with the rock caves/natural setup?

UPDATE:

Well, we have transferred the Black Moor ("Ebony") into the re-established and sterilized 60 gallon, and she is happy and doing well! We finally accomplished our goal for the immediate moment -- getting the last survivor of the bacterial infection out of her two gallon holding "tank" and back into the cleaned up, ready-to-cycle 60 gallon! She seems so much happier, able to swim with plenty of room again, and with clean, fresh water...I can't believe it, but in under a week, we were able to save this goldfish's life and finally get her back into the bigger tank that was once the scene of a homicide-by-infection...

Here are some details: I did the API freshwater tests today on the 60 gallon, which had been running for about 24 hours with new bubble bars and the Aqueon QuietFlow 55 filter (I still have to get media for the AquaClear), and everything checked out -- ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I started the first dose of Seachem's Stability, then added more Prime, and we transferred the Moor from the tiny startup tank she was in to a Ziplock bag, then floated her in the 60 gallon for awhile so she could get acclimated to the temperature, then let her out...

So now I have to keep with the week-long Stability dose, as I did in the 10 gallon (which ended up being a success, as the three goldies in there are fine and doing well; I just did a 50% water change on that tank today) and then slowly re-introduce a community of fancy goldies back to the tank; we also have to decorate and put plants in, but I need a lot of help with ideas for that...

Your tank is now going to re-cycle. You should check your parameters twice daily to make sure the toxin levels don't get too high. You might have to do daily water changes, possibly twice daily. Feed sparingly, and I would recommend only once every other day.

Your tank is now going to re-cycle. You should check your parameters twice daily to make sure the toxin levels don't get too high. You might have to do daily water changes, possibly twice daily. Feed sparingly, and I would recommend only once every other day.

The recycle process is being handled by the Stability, but I will keep a sharp eye on the Moor's behavior and the water quality. As for the feeding, are you sure it's best to feed sparingly during this time? Once every other day is okay? Is there a certain reason for this during the cycle process?

Even though you are using stability, you will want to feed sparingly so the ammonia and nitrite levels don't spike and harm your fish.

Even though you are using stability, you will want to feed sparingly so the ammonia and nitrite levels don't spike and harm your fish.

Okay -- makes total sense. I shall feed sparingly, 'dude. :)

Every other day is okay for the one Black Moor, yes?

Back
Top Bottom