I have some tank upgrading questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a 40 gallon high tank
150 Watt heater
550 gph power head
Fluval 305 filter
Duel t5 HO (2, 39 Watt bulbs)
A marineland reef compatable LED

Now time for my question... my uncle just offered me a 65 gallon aquarium. I want to know if I could just swap everything from my 40 gallon over to the 65 gallon? Would I still be at high light for my plants? I will probably have to get a new heater but is that the only thing I would have to change?

fishfanatic said:
I currently have a 40 gallon high tank
150 Watt heater
550 gph power head
Fluval 305 filter
Duel t5 HO (2, 39 Watt bulbs)
A marineland reef compatable LED

Now time for my question... my uncle just offered me a 65 gallon aquarium. I want to know if I could just swap everything from my 40 gallon over to the 65 gallon? Would I still be at high light for my plants? I will probably have to get a new heater but is that the only thing I would have to change?

In addition to getting another heater, I would consider adding another filter. I don't think your lighting will be considered "high-light" on a 65g tank. How high is the 65g? Do you have high-light plants now? I would also consider getting a new fixture or adding another one. Good luck.

I'm assuming here that the 65 gal refers to the 36"x18"x24" tank. If so, the lighting you have is not going to be considered high light on this tank. That said, IMO you will still have a ton of options on what you can grow. I also think that your powerhead, combined with your Fluval 305, will be fine on a 65 gal (depending, of course, on stock). Anytime you want to increase bio filtration, all you need to do is add a sponge attachment to the powerhead. Is the Marineland LED a moonlight system, or is it additional "daylight" lighting? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the product.

At any rate, a 40 gal to 65 gal is a nice big upgrade. I do think a heater upgrade (or second heater) is in order, but with temps rising I doubt that it is a significant concern for now.

I think you are set for the upgrade with the exception of the heater, and if you are offered the tank for free (as the post reads) then YES... I would go for it NOW NOW NOW! :D

severum mama said:
I'm assuming here that the 65 gal refers to the 36"x18"x24" tank. If so, the lighting you have is not going to be considered high light on this tank. That said, IMO you will still have a ton of options on what you can grow. I also think that your powerhead, combined with your Fluval 305, will be fine on a 65 gal (depending, of course, on stock). Anytime you want to increase bio filtration, all you need to do is add a sponge attachment to the powerhead. Is the Marineland LED a moonlight system, or is it additional "daylight" lighting? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the product.

At any rate, a 40 gal to 65 gal is a nice big upgrade. I do think a heater upgrade (or second heater) is in order, but with temps rising I doubt that it is a significant concern for now.

I think you are set for the upgrade with the exception of the heater, and if you are offered the tank for free (as the post reads) then YES... I would go for it NOW NOW NOW! :D

I have not seen the tank so I am unaware of the dimensions. The only high light plants I have right now are Dwarf Baby Tears. The Marineland led has both a moon light and a day light setting (daylight 36 1 watt 10,000 k LEDs and 6 blue LEDs) (night time 6 blue LEDs)
Could I still grow the HC? I have pressurized co2 and I dose with pps pro.

And yes the tank is free! He said "it is going in the trash if you don't take it" (I hope that doesn't mean it is broken)

roydooms said:
In addition to getting another heater, I would consider adding another filter. I don't think your lighting will be considered "high-light" on a 65g tank. How high is the 65g? Do you have high-light plants now? I would also consider getting a new fixture or adding another one. Good luck.

I have a penguin Bio wheel filter that I am not using (it is rated for a 30 gallon tank). Could I run that HOB and the Fluval 305 and have good filteration?

fishfanatic said:
I have a penguin Bio wheel filter that I am not using (it is rated for a 30 gallon tank). Could I run that HOB and the Fluval 305 and have good filteration?

Like what SM said, depending on your stock. As long as your tank wont be overstocked, in IMO, those 2 filters should be good enough.

roydooms said:
Like what SM said, depending on your stock. As long as your tank wont be overstocked, in IMO, those 2 filters should be good enough.

The tank wouldn't be overstocked. I am thing about one breeding pair of anglefish in the tank.

fishfanatic said:
The tank wouldn't be overstocked. I am thing about one breeding pair of anglefish in the tank.

Your filters should be fine then.

I don't really have any experience with baby tears. I read that it requires high lighting. Maybe somebody will chime in if this plant will be fine in medium light.

What lighting would I have? 36 1 Watt 10,000 k LEDs, and a duel t5 ho (2 39 Watt bulbs 5,500 k)

fishfanatic said:
What lighting would I have? 36 1 Watt 10,000 k LEDs, and a duel t5 ho (2 39 Watt bulbs 5,500 k)

I think it would be between medium and high light, is that correct?

How high is the 65g? Check out this chart^^^

Attachments

• image-3920456437.jpg
    image-3920456437.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 136
Is par and lumens the same? My led fixture is 2610 lumens. And my t5 ho does not say how many of ether.

This is all the bulbs say:
Zoo Med
F39T5/ MAX PLANT GROWTH
FLORA SUN
34 inch/ 863 mm
Made in Germany

roydooms said:
How high is the 65g? Check out this chart^^^

The tank measures 49" long, 19" wide and 22" tall. On the stand it is 50.5" l, 20" w and 51" t. It is set up for an under tank bi
This is the text my uncle sent me there is one more that I will post in a second. What is a bi?

o filter (which - also have). You'd need better lights though.
This is the second half he sent me.

I put those number into a tank size calculator and it said it is 88 gallons is this right? He said the filter is set up with an overflow and a 10 gallon tank.

fishfanatic said:
I put those number into a tank size calculator and it said it is 88 gallons is this right? He said the filter is set up with an overflow and a 10 gallon tank.

Yes it is 88g.

Back
Top Bottom