I hesitate to even post this, proceed with caution..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not sure if I would believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.
I went to my less that favorite LFS tonight, was to lazy to drive the extra 15 miles to the good one for a new nori clip. I will go here once in a while for dry goods when I am pressed for time.
Now, mind you I would not buy a snail (any livstock) from this place and I usually don't even go to look at their livstock (makes me ill), but curiosity got the better of me.
While I'm looking through the tanks, there is a couple there with a little girl looking at some fish. As I pass by them I hear the lady say to her little one, "what about that one honey". "That one" was a small Queen Angel. The salesperson was at the same time telling them what the Queen will eat, not a mention of tank size. I could not control myself, so I told them how big they get and the tank size requirement. The salesperson looked a bit perplexed. Found that they have a 40 gallon. :roll:
A few minutes later (I was actually hanging around to see what would happen) I hear the couple say they will take the Yellow and the Blue Tang. I can't take this any more, so I "nicely" go into my speech about tank size and appropriate fish for that tank. They are interested in what I am telling them, so I show them a few fish that they could have. By now the salesperson is ready to kill me.
After talking to them for a while I find out the tank they purchased was loaded in their car!!
They were gonna set it up tonight, and cycle with these fish.....yikes 8O
They new nothing of cycling, qt, mixing salt, acclimation, etc.
The salesperson had sold them a tank, stand, lights, filter, salt, hydrometer, heater, gravel, etc :roll: and was ready to get them their first fish. I couldn't believe it. :evil: I don't know if this person was new, but certainly knew nothing about a marine system. :evil:
To make a long story short.
They did buy the setup, but no fish..at least not tonight(I think). I gave them the web address to the site (I hope they show) and told them to get Fenner's book before they do anything else. I wanted to tell them of the other fish stores in town, but I believe the police would have been called if I had.
This is a completely true story and my point is. Until fish stores like this get their act together, we do have some serious problems in this hobby.
After this conversation online today about the regulations our govt is considering proposing ,I must confess that I did go in there to verify the conditions I remember of this place (it had been a long time since I had been there), but I was not ready for what I saw tonight.
Oh, ya..I still need a new nori clip. I will not ever darken their door again.
Thanks for listening, I needed to vent...sorry :oops:

Does this lfs have awebsite or an e-mail address? We should write them letters or something. Man that makes me angry :evil:

its a good thing that you were there to save those poor fish from such a terrible fate... thats so sad that such uninformed people are employed at these LFSs.

You did an honorable thing. That is definitely the ugly side of the hobby. I wish my fishies knew how lucky they are.

Its a strange thing, this subject was on my mind all day after this discussion earlier
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=36070
I think I walked in there tonight kinda looking for some kind of verification of my comments on that thread (but I did need a nori clip). Boy did I find some.
If anyone want the name of the place, PM me.
Phases99, all I really did was delay their fate. Someone will come in tomorrow or the next day and the same thing will happen again. I hope it was just 1 employee, but I kinda doubt it.
On the good side, maybe I helped get someone on the right track with their system and save a little girl from a few tears. Dunno :|

And not only that, they would have been wondering why there fish died! And the fish store guy would continue to sell them his fish making it seem like their ignorance! Because I'll tell you this, if I kept buying fish and they kept dying (during a cycle process I knew nothing about), I would have given up on this hobby long ago. They don't see it, but doing what they are doing cost them money in the long run! I am certainly glad you told them the right way, because not only would the fish have been unhappy or died, that little girl would have been heartbroken. Losing any animal hurts! It is cruel! You would think a pet store owner would be a lover of animals and want to ensure their happiness. How unfortunate! Good for you QS!

I applaud you QS. Hopefully those people will take you up on your offer and join or atleast visit this site. It may be their only hope!

It's a great act you that you spoke up. We have stores around here that are the same way. So I know how you feel.

These things unfortunately happen in all the pet trades. Education is the key. Its unbelievable how many people buy a pet without having any idea on how to care for it. I wonder if the ASPCA has any laws against this kind of thing?

I didn't a chance to tell them much. Just some basic stuff about cycling, tank sizes and qt. Don't know how much sunk in, it was kinda awkward and my actions may have been percieved as a bit pushy.
Hopefully they didn't think I was a wacko and go back tomorrow to get the fish anyway, it did look like they were leaving. If they just get the book, or do some research. verification is important when you are confused.

I understand what you are saying phases, but when you buy a puppy from a pet store they tell you if they have their shots what they eat and usually give great advice on how to care for one. Why can't buying a fish be the same? LFS should be responsible and honorable enough to make sure that new owner know what the hell he/she is doing before they walk out of their store. That is their responsibility isn't it?

Hey Qshark! Place like that make me very angry. I cant stand to see poor fish in bad condition, and being sentenced to death by a lfs owner, selling them to sw newbs. I am glad you were there to help at least save the fish for the time being.
Thanks for standing up for the hobby. :wink:

This is exactly the thing that is going to fuel the coral consevation act. If they go into a couple of fish stores like that one they will have a field day bashing the hobby we have all grown to love. I'm lucky around here all the lfs's I have gone to have been excellent. You the man QS

We have 2 excellent ones here to. Its just that this one is on the way home from work. Used to sometimes get dry good from them, not any more.

QS, you should check out one of those cool magnetic nori clips sold by one of our sponsors. In ingenous idea. No more replacing clips due to ageing suctioncups. Oh and they float so no more digging to the bottom of the tank to reclaim one.

Which sponsor?
I have to have 2 so the kids don't fight. :roll:
One of them disappeared, can't find it anywhere. They make them for PH suctioncups too?
Thanks!

I had the same situation at the local Petco a couple of months back. Nice jobe for stepping in. I do think you should follow up with the store's owner and see if they have any justification for having uneducated employees. Nice work!!! :D 200 kudos for you! :multi: :multi: :multi:
Lando

Back
Top Bottom