I hope I didn't just hurt my new corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Primordialsoup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys! So my new aquarium finally cycled and I moved my betta, snail and corydoras into it a couple days ago. Today I went out and got three new corys to start out with as companions for my current one who has been alone since his previous companion passed away a few months ago. Anyway I was able to get two of them into the tank without issue but one of them got his pectoral spine stuck in the net and after I tried to shake him out a few times I realized he wasn't budging so trying not to yank or squeeze I (hopefully gently enough) just pulled him free with two fingers and put him into the tank with the others. He had been very active before but then he darted into some of the plastic plants and sat there motionless for several minutes before I nudged him with the net again to make sure he was alright. He quickly darted away again and hid. I turned the lights off and am going to keep them off until morning in hopes of reducing any stress to him. I hope he's just a little dazed and shell shocked and I certainly hope I didn't just cripple him. When he darted into hiding he seemed to swim in that furious motion corys normally do when they want to go fast so I don't think there was much damage if any but that sudden lack of activity has me a little concerned. What do you guys think? Is this worth worrying about?

False alarm guys! He's fine! He's swimming around with the others as of this morning! I know as far as tiny fish are concerned corys are pretty tough. Still, if they're prone to getting stuck in the net I'll probably have to somehow find a better untangling solution to reduce the risk of this happening again.

I found a "shrimp " net. It's generally white, and has alot finer mesh on it. Good for catfish so they don't get caught in the holes

Thanks Charliebankston! I have been hearing some good things about shrimp and brine shrimp nets! I think I'll get one now! They look great!

Back
Top Bottom