I just caught ick! (help me please!!!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltypuppy

Aquarium Advice Freak
My betta just got over Swimbladder Disease and now it seems he has caught ick! He only has 2 Cysts on his whole body that I can see. Do you think Aqarium salt could treat him at this point?

Or Should I just return him to the store. :C

there is a really great sticky thread on this... but yeah...salt is good and temperature slowly to 86 degrees. I just made it through a horrible ich scare where every fish in my tank was "sich" so I actually did it all... i even used meds but thats honestly because it was already so bad they were barely swimming... thats a last resort.

Alright - Thanks so much! I am going to use meds cause I know someone who has some now. So Yay! I think I can save him!

I'd say raise the tank temp, add aquarium salt (It'll lower your ph so be careful) and try a milder form of ich cure med. Malachite green works wonders too, but it'll stain things that are light colors.

I dunno...

Make sure your friend has the complete dosage otherwise it'll be pointless.

I prefer not to use any of those meds as most are really bad in the long term, acting as carcinogens and toxins. Malachite green can be toxic in the long run as it accumulates and is not easily cleared from fish muscles. Ich is easily treated simply by raising the temp of the tank and adding aquarium salt. Given that we want our aquatic friends to live long healthy lives, I try to use the most natural means of treating disease.

Also, you should consider that many of the chemical treatments stay in the gravel and bond to various surfaces in the tank and can be impossible to remove completely. Beware of this as your tank is a permanent home. If you choose to use these treatments, use a seperate dedicated quarantine tank.

This fish is in the QT I believe, so no worries about it staying in the tank with him. I used QuICK Cure, and my betta is fine, and was cleared up in 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom