I just dont get it anymore (missing fins)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also have an fx5 running and the sump is a 2 inch intake so it does quite a bit per hour. The sump is mostly for skimming the top though as with more surface area comes more scum. Ill try for a 50% water change but would rather shut the tank down if i have to do a 50% per week as water isnt cheap. The thing is none of my fish seem unhappy, they all eat willingly. discus all eat out of my hand so they seem healthy. Maybe the fins are growing back just really slowly. The tank is also pretty planted, nothing like my 75 was but when I had that going I would only do water changes every 2 weeks at 20% and I had discus naturally breeding in there. The only thing Im thinking now is I havent cleaned my fx5 since starting the tank up. Maybe I should clean the sponges as there may be something from start up thats screwing up my water.

Don't know why I didn't think of this before. It isn't the cause, but it can be a solution. You should use StressCoat or the like. StressCoat is a water dechlorinator that can help your fishes fins regrow quicker and it worked well when I used it.

I am pretty sure you can use peat moss but make sure it doesn't have chemicals.

As long as you can keep Ammonia and Nitrites at Zero and Nitrates low, then whatever water schedule works for you.

You can rinse out your sponges from your filter with used tank water or with dechlorinated tapwater.

The massive frequent water changes are common among people trying to grow out discus AFAIK.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom