I just got a 250 gal tank...whoa!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA_BroncoFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm actually picking it up Sunday, I went to look at it today and I'm super stoked. Its flipping huge though. 7' long and I can't wait. I do have some questions though.

I've decided to go all hob filters (aquaclears) and I've heard some AQ users say they don't use carbon in theirs. What are some thoughts on this?

It is coming in a custom stand that I'm told was built for it but since the tank is all glass and filled with water, rocks, etc will be unbeliveably heavy so id like to do some reenforcements to the stand. Any tips will be soo helpful.

The tank is used and hasn't been in use for about 6 months. I checked the seal from about halfway up and all edges were good. Given the size should I reseal the whole tank just to be safe or if the seal is solid all the way around don't worry?

I have 2 100w heaters and a 150w heater. Will those be enough?

Finally my question is lighting. I'm going all fake plants and rock with driftwood and possibly some moss that I know ill grow in non co2/high light conditions. What should I choose that's going to give a nice show tank look? Also should I do moonlighting?

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated. Ill have pics up soon enough. And a stocking list.

AWESOME :shocked!:. The rule is at least 5w of heat per gallon so you'll need 1250w lol. So you might need some more heating. Can't wait to see what you're planning on stocking haha.

More south american that anything but the kicker is I still have my other fish going in there so ill need not so aggressive. I'm personally not a huge fan of aggressive but pretty fish. Just not me so I'm thinking blood parrots, my jewels, severum and I'm kinda stuck there for cichlids. It'll give a little bit of room for error as there will be plenty of space to hide but I don't want super aggressive. Boring I know but hey whateva :)

Yes rams I will def. Have some of those just not sure which ones I like the most, pluss I have kribs and I don't want fry all the time...well maybe I do I dunno yet. Germans are readily avail here so that's good.

lol. i'm not really jealous because I doubt I could even fit that size tank in my... house... lol. At least not without the floor breaking through hahaa

lol. i'm not really jealous because I doubt I could even fit that size tank in my... house... lol. At least not without the floor breaking through hahaa

That would be a secondary thought with me lmao. I would try everything I could to try and get a tank that size in my house and have it be stable.

I live in cali where we don't have basements so it'll be on a concrete slab base. But I'm worried about the stand which is why I want to reenforce it.

I'm scared to death of SW and the expensive hobby of keeping SW.

Just fyi. I couldn't pass up a deal like this. Tank, stand, glass top, light.....500 bucks

sweet find are you going swiming with the fish. big tank saw one on C.L. guy was in tank cleaning it in his photo.

hey dude, congrats on a great find :)

As for the heaters, ill disagree with wayne... two 300w heaters should be sufficient for that tank (marineland stealth pro of course)... as for your filters (sorry if its been addressed already), i would HIGHLY suggest canisters. An fx5 and a 405 or two fx5's would be great for that tank. The problem with hob's are that aquaclears biggest filter (ac110) is only good for about 50-60 gallons, so you would need like 6 for your tank to adequately filter it. As for fish, it screams african cichlids to me!

Back
Top Bottom