I just got a 55 gal dirty aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheJT

Aquarium Advice Activist
It looks like the people that had it before me just let the water evaporate out of the aquarium. Now there is white stuff all over it. It's kinda caked on. What will be the best to clean this?

I always get my aquariums dirty so from me to you: get ready for some work! I always wash mine out with some water first, then do some scrubbing with one of the green srubby kitchen rags and vinegar. Then I wash it out with a powerwasher, then take a razor and vinegar. Then I spray it off one last time. Keep doing this until everything is nice and clean:)

I'm in the exact same position as you are JT. Takes patience and elbow grease unfortunately, and as others have said, vinegar.
I've given mine one good scrubbing already, and now it'll be on to scraping the really tough stuff with razor blade, and then scrub again.
Make sure you rinse it out really good when you finally get it sparkling!

Yeah and it's sat for years. But I got the aquarium, hood, lights, powerhead, and some decor for $20. I have plenty of time to work on it. I actually have to get rid of some furniture in my living room to make room for it lol. The HOB filter works but it is also caked in that stuff. I'm gonna have to take it apart and soak it I think. Lots of work in store for me but at what I got all this for, it'll be worth it in the end.

Yeah and it's sat for years. But I got the aquarium, hood, lights, powerhead, and some decor for $20. I have plenty of time to work on it. I actually have to get rid of some furniture in my living room to make room for it lol. The HOB filter works but it is also caked in that stuff. I'm gonna have to take it apart and soak it I think. Lots of work in store for me but at what I got all this for, it'll be worth it in the end.

Woah, this is so similar to me! For the filter or anything that looks questionable soak it in a 1 part bleach 10 part water. Or wing it like me, I did about 5 gallons with 1 cup bleach.

What i do with a tank like that is lay it on it's side and por straight vinegar in to cover the entire pane. Let it sit until the deposits soften and than scrape with a blade or scrub with a plastic pot scrubber. Rotate the tank and do another side, until all four sides are done.
Filters I run through the dish washer, with detergent, and use vinegar for any residue left.

I'm doing that. Just take out the filter media if there's any, and stick it in the solution.

Cool I was worried about the impeller motor getting wet. And I'm gonna replace the media. Lol. It's falling apart and I can't seed anything with it.

I'm a little better off than you then. My filter doesn't look toobad. It does have residue, but the actual inserts look in good condition.
I did not know it would be ok to run stuff through the dishwasher though?

Ok I'll show it off lol. This after a gallon of vinegar and a full tank of water. I scrubbed it decently and drained most of the water. I like the idea of letting vinegar sit on a side and then scrapping it clean. Lol

Attachments

• image-1960333555.jpg
    image-1960333555.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 152
  • image-1396519879.jpg
    image-1396519879.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 149
  • image-2937148049.jpg
    image-2937148049.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 138
  • image-2865375323.jpg
    image-2865375323.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 138
  • image-1143829440.jpg
    image-1143829440.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 154
It doesn't look too bad! I'd keep cleaning though, just to get the rest away:). But it's starting to look like an A class tank!

Looks like today is gonna feature me, the vinegar, and a scraper... lol. I can't wait to get this baby into useable condition!

Looks like today is gonna feature me, the vinegar, and a scraper... lol. I can't wait to get this baby into useable condition!
The good thing of course is that after you have put all this work in the reward will be..........well, even more rewarding.
I think you tend to appreciate things like this a little more when it takes some effort to get them back to where they should be.

The good thing of course is that after you have put all this work in the reward will be..........well, even more rewarding.
I think you tend to appreciate things like this a little more when it takes some effort to get them back to where they should be.

We had to go through the same thing for our second 55gal. Comparing our first set up to our second I think it is more rewarding to put in the elbow grease! Good luck and I can't wait to see before and after pictures! I never remember to do those.

well for certain im gonna add another power filter to the tank... was looking at the marineland 400. Tell ya what i'll keep this thread alive and post pics along the way till its completely restored.

well for certain im gonna add another power filter to the tank... was looking at the marineland 400. Tell ya what i'll keep this thread alive and post pics along the way till its completely restored.

SWEET! can't wait to see what it looks like.

Back
Top Bottom