I just got my tank setup Saturday night and

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
To get it decorated I bought some driftwood and plants from a local mom and pop fish store. I asked him if it had snails in it and he said maybe, but he called them nts or mts snails or something. Said they are good for cleaning up the substrate. Said if I did get any they would stay in the substrate. Well, I do have some. They are tiny, but I counted about eight or more of them. some climb on the sides. I am doing a fishless cycle so there is nothing for them to feed on in the substrate. I fear these things will multiply to a nuisance level. Should I start trying to dip them out and get rid of them or are they indeed ok to have? I do have some plants so I don't know if that changes any recommendations or suggestions.

Thanks.

Mts, Malasian trumpet snail.
They're not a bad snail to have compared to some others. They will overrun a tank if there's excessive overfeeding but if everything is managed properly their population will stay in check and can even benefit you by cleaning up and sifting through the gravel or sand to eliminate pockets of gas.

MTS- I have a love/hate relationship with these. They will help 'turn over' your substrate and keep it clean. But once they start to reproduce, look out!

if they start to get out of control add a few assasin snails. God made assassin snails specifically to eat MTS out of fish tanks, I think.

Back
Top Bottom