I need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay on my last thread people told me that the plant i have is a terristal plant or something so i am going to change it so my snails stop chowing down on it. I was thinking about getting some banana lilies or maybe hair grass i think its called that its the plant that looks like hair and lives on the bottom and im also getting rid of my goldfish fantail for some shrimp what kind! Thanks every one!:p

I had to laugh when I saw the terrestrial thing. LOL! Space plants! Not making fun of you, it just made me giggle. Terrerium plants are plants for reptiles usually. I have some in my tanks that are growing really well, but who knows, my fish don't eat plants.
You are probably thinking dwarf hairgrass, which I have had NO luck with, but it could work for you!
MGamer will probably be on here soon and he can answer your questions better than I can.

I had to laugh when I saw the terrestrial thing. LOL! Space plants! Not making fun of you, it just made me giggle. Terrerium plants are plants for reptiles usually. I have some in my tanks that are growing really well, but who knows, my fish don't eat plants.
You are probably thinking dwarf hairgrass, which I have had NO luck with, but it could work for you!
MGamer will probably be on here soon and he can answer your questions better than I can.
dont worry im the biggest newbie to this its not funny so yeah

No worries DKpate, i don't think he meant that you upset him. I think he meant that he is such a newb that its beyond funny.

What kind of lighting are you running and are you running a heater?

The lighting determines what kind of plants could survive in your tank. Banana plants and dwarf hairgrass need med-high light to flourish. Java ferns, anubias, and moss are good candidates for tanks with ~1 watt per gallon of FLUORESCENT lighting. More watts per gallon offers more plant options. Incandescent lights aren't much good for growing plants.

If your tank is heated, cherry shrimp are good small shrimp, or if you're looking for something a little larger, look at amano shrimp.

Hair grass needs a lot of light, you might consider something like a micro sword , chain sword or a dwarf sagittaria. There are some dwarf crypts but they do best in a well established tank. I don't know if it is just me or not but the banana plant doesn't do well, it is probably just me trying to hard with it.

I agree dont go for Dwarf Hairgrass.

I cant get it to spread at all in my tank and thats with EI dosing, 3.5wpg and 30ppm co2. Infact I can barely get it to survive yet everything else is thriving.

okay but the banana lilly i think will go well because my tank has good lighting but i wont get the hairgrass but what about "MINI PELLIA" i thought was a good choice as it needs little maintinece and i will be turning that tank into a shrimp tank so yeah advice

Ok whew!!!
I couldn't get my dwarf hairgrass to grow either, it all died....WAAAAHHHH!
You know, the only thing that IS thriving in my tank, (besides the fish lol) are the plant bulbs I bought at WalMart for $3. It took about 3 weeks for them to grow, but I really like them! Well, the ones my BGK doesn't decide to dig up and play soccer with....lol!

Hairgrass seems to be strange, it seems to grow best in newly setup tanks when planted in perfect subsrate ( not gravel ) with good light and co2 AND it must be divided into clumps of 1-5 strands at the most. Not largish clumps of 10+

I think it has something to do with the ammonium available to the plant during cycling which helps it to grow and spread rapidly in a new tank??

Ok whew!!!
I couldn't get my dwarf hairgrass to grow either, it all died....WAAAAHHHH!
You know, the only thing that IS thriving in my tank, (besides the fish lol) are the plant bulbs I bought at WalMart for $3. It took about 3 weeks for them to grow, but I really like them! Well, the ones my BGK doesn't decide to dig up and play soccer with....lol!
Yes that silly BGK it must be disaplined!

LOL! Nah, he's pretty good, I just wish my arms were longer so I could reach all the way into the tank to replant and not get my shoulder wet, as well as the whole side of my body haha!

Back
Top Bottom