I need help setting up a good filtration system on my 29g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nestor29

Aquarium Advice Regular
New to this site... I need help setting up a good filtration system on my 29g tank. I currently have a BioWheel 350 and a SeaClone 100 Protein Skimmer. I have a 2" sand bed and about 30 lbs of live rock.

Stock:
2 Clownfish
4 Red Mushrooms
12 Hermits
40+ Assorted Snails

Want to get a Goby and a Cleaner Shrimp in the near future.

You sound like your good to go. The only thing I would say you could improve filtration wise is upgrading to a sump/fuge.

I forgot to mention that the BioWheel is very loud and I'm thinking of replacing it but don't know what to replace it with... I run Chemi-Pure, Purigen and a Phosphate pad so I need a filter that gives me that option.

No room for sump/fuge, if I have success turning my 29g into a reef I will be upgrading and then I'll definitely make sure I have a sump.

How about an aquaclear. They have great options when it comes to personalized filter media. Or if your willing to do the weekly maintenance get a canister filter :)

Do you recommend a particular canister filter?
I need to look into the AquaClear and see if I can fit all my media in one.

Rena or fluval.. I'm a fan of the fluvals but its sort of a Chevy Ford kinda arguement. Both are good brands though so it'll be more your preference

Sniperhank said:
Seaclones are garbage. Not worth the money you pay for it. I wish I had done more research before I bought mine. I'd recommend reef octopus models, they are quality.

True but on a tank this size which honestly could do with out a skimmer it'll be just fine imo but if you decide to upgrade definitely consider the reef octopus

Ill disagree. In a smaller tank proper filtration is even more important as little mistakes can lead to big issues with such a small water column. A good quality skimmer would pull tons of particulate out of the water and provide better results. I love the KISS method for things, but aiming to keep water pristine is the key to survival in this hobby. Even fowlr systems would benefit from a skimmer, especially smaller systems.

Sniperhank said:
Ill disagree. In a smaller tank proper filtration is even more important as little mistakes can lead to big issues with such a small water column. A good quality skimmer would pull tons of particulate out of the water and provide better results. I love the KISS method for things, but aiming to keep water pristine is the key to survival in this hobby. Even fowlr systems would benefit from a skimmer, especially smaller systems.

I'm not argueing that it wouldn't help but small tanks can be kept just as healthy without a skimmer as large tanks with one. If I were him I couldn't justify buying another skimmer for that tank. It's just not really worth it imo if your doing proper maintenance

Sniperhank said:
Seaclones are garbage. Not worth the money you pay for it. I wish I had done more research before I bought mine. I'd recommend reef octopus models, they are quality.

I have a hob skimmer from octopus sucked putting it together ( thank you youtube) but it plug and play no adjustment needed out of the box.

SeaClone is working great!! I did my research and there was both positive and negative reviews on the SeaClone and Reef Octopus.

Back
Top Bottom