I need help with a really noisy fluval U4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A couple months ago i bought a Fluval U4 for my turtle tank. Ever since it's always been noisy and the best way to describe it is it sounds like there's a rock in the impeller shaft. I took the filter out just a couple minutes ago to do some regular cleaning and I decided to feel the impeller for any chips. I found a tiny piece of what looked to be a sharp piece of plastic hanging off the impeller so I pulled it off. After I put the filter back in and plugged it in I realized it was noisier than it was before. The noise really bothers me because the tank is in the bedroom. Can someone tell me what is wrong with the impeller and how to fix it?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Here is a photo of the impeller.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403919428.447212.jpgthe slime you see on it is Vaseline but the chip is on the left hand side closest to the green.

Sounds like it's knocking due to improper weight distribution.. you can probably order a new one on amazon...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds like it's knocking due to improper weight distribution.. you can probably order a new one on amazon...

I'm trying to avoid buying a new one seeing as I recently made a trip to the aquarium store. Is there any way I could possibly sand it down?

Mehhh, those things are a machine calibrated, you could try?? A replacement would be the best course imo..good luck

Mehhh, those things are a machine calibrated, you could try?? A replacement would be the best course imo..good luck

Thanks, your probably right. I will try and fix it and if it does not work I will go out to the aquarium store tomorrow and buy a new one.

You might try sending an email to Fluval and see if they'll send one out. They've been decent about it with the C-series models

Back
Top Bottom