I need to blow off some steam!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need to blow off some steam about my heaters, a few months ago the heater in my 47 gallon bow front tank over heated killing quite a few of my fish, so I purchased a controller for my heater, which is working out perfectly.

Sunday when I fed the fish in my 19 gallon none of them came up to greet me, and later in the afternoon when I cleaned the tank found the heater (brand new Marineland heater) wasn't on and I had to bang it against the side of the tank to get it to go back on. My poor fish were in that tank freezing their butts off.

OM! I cleaned the tank, slowly put some warmer water in there, and 2 heaters to warm the tank up. Why on earth do heaters malfunction? I'm going to have to get a controller for that heater now too. This is nuts!!

:thanks:

As with many things in this hobby, quality comes at a price.

I've had back luck with marineland products except for one small heater that's still going. Everything else has went kaput.

Eheim Jäger or Finnex may be in your best interest to check out as a more "quality made" filter.

I've only had one heater fail on me before and it heated my tank to 93 degrees! Luckily I had no losses.

Sorry to hear about the mess though.

Caleb

I've been in this hobby for quite a few years and the piece of equipment I've had the most issues with is heaters :banghead: Not long ago I set up a 10g grow out tank, didn't want to take chances again so I spent the money and bought a Cobalt Neo-therm. No regrets!

Unless the room temperature is dramatically lower than what the aquarium water is supposed to be, your fish were probably fine. For example, my tank heaters are set to 76F, but the rooms temperature is around 72-75F. If a heater stopped working, then the water would just gradually drop to the room's temperature... which is still in the range for most tropical fish.

I realize none of this helps with the frustration of broken/defective equipment. I just don't want you to go into a panic if it happens again.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Think branding section in heaters is a big deal. I would never trust anything marineland to keep my fish safe. I've had great luck with aqueon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive used cheap heaters and high dollar heaters believe it or not I still trust the cheap heaters, the expensive heaters never keep a stable temp Either they over heat or don't heat at all , no I don't like depending on a cheap unit but it seems they are more reliable at-least in my head , the cold weather is quickly approaching I'm glad I kept those cheap heaters as I plan on switching out the expensive heaters that don't show there worth, Imo I would trust a cheap heater over a high dollar heater for all my tanks
No I don't like cheap products but for some reason these cheap heaters never proved wrong.

I bought a Hagen Marina for my first tank. Splurged a little and got an Aqueon Pro for my second.

I use the cheap heaters for quarantine/hospital tanks and for temperature-adjusting fresh water for water changes. That's about all I'll use them for.

Ive used cheap heaters and high dollar heaters believe it or not I still trust the cheap heaters, the expensive heaters never keep a stable temp Either they over heat or don't heat at all , no I don't like depending on a cheap unit but it seems they are more reliable at-least in my head , the cold weather is quickly approaching I'm glad I kept those cheap heaters as I plan on switching out the expensive heaters that don't show there worth, Imo I would trust a cheap heater over a high dollar heater for all my tanks
No I don't like cheap products but for some reason these cheap heaters never proved wrong.

The only cheap heaters I've had good luck with are Aquatop.

I have a couple of them and they are dirt cheap but none have failed me yet!

Caleb

I had a 6 month old 300w $80 heater wig out and overheat my 250ltr ( can't remember the brand ) I replaced it with what at the time was supposed to be a temporary $20 aquamanta heater, it's still doin well 6 months on and the 2 year guarantee is a nice addition.. Looks better too

I refuse to purchase anything from Aqueon. Lesson learned, you get what you pay for.

thanks for the info.

I have an aqueon that I'm about to replace, i have it set on 70 degrees but my tank stays at 80, maybe my lfs sold me to big of one is 300 watts for a 55 gallon, opinions?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have an aqueon that I'm about to replace, i have it set on 70 degrees but my tank stays at 80, maybe my lfs sold me to big of one is 300 watts for a 55 gallon, opinions?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wayyyy too big, I have a 200 in my 75..

I am all aqueon pro!
Maybe 26 or so!!!
Only ever had 1 go bad and aqueon replaced for free(lifetime gaurentee)......

A controller will not help a heater that doesn't turn on properly....

Wayyyy too big, I have a 200 in my 75..

I got 300 on my 75 and it's plenty....

I found a common thing with Eheim jäger was heating warmer than the set temperature even if it was the correct wattage for the tank. Even at varying room temperatures I had one set to 72 and it had the tank at 80. room temp was 72. They are powerful.

Caleb

I only have a 55 and I'm trying to lower my temp to 77-78 but this heater will not allow me to do so, as i said it's 300 watts so 200 for a 55??

I only have a 55 and I'm trying to lower my temp to 77-78 but this heater will not allow me to do so, as i said it's 300 watts so 200 for a 55??

The general rule is 5 watts per gallon. Personally for a 55 I'd go with two heaters. I think doing so helps keep a consistent temp throughout the tank plus you'd have a backup in case one crashes.

A 200 watt aqueon pro will be able to raise a 55g tanks 15 degrees above a room with average temp of 68-72.
All of my aquaeon pros are pretty accurate with the temp scale as I keep a thermometer on all 26 tanks also!

Things like lights and some filters will pass heat to the tank.
If your heater is running correctly(meaning not on when tank is over set temp) then it is likely you are gaining heat elsewhere....

My room temp is 75 and i do not have any spaces in my lids i cut them exactly the shape of my filter so i didnt have so much evap in the tank, light is led, heater is hob aqua clear 110

All of my aquaeon pros are pretty accurate with the temp scale as I keep a thermometer on all 26 tanks also!

I've noticed this as well. The temp setting on the Aqueon Pro 100 in my 20 high is almost exactly the same as the thermometer reading on the other side of the tank.

Whats the proper way to mount the heater, some say vertical, some say 45 degree angle middle of the tank, some say horizontal

Back
Top Bottom