I noticed two jelly like things growing on my rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronalam

Aquarium Advice Freak
Was moving some rock around earlier and I noticed two jelly like things growing on my rock?

They both have an apparent opening, other than that they are just like jelly, milkish colour.

Any ideas?

Agree,they would be sponges,look close and you might see where the water comes into them and then out the tube.Good filter feeders,shows your tank is doing good.

I'll try and grab a picture, if it is a type of sponge, will it be ok as it was removed from water?

Then again, it did initially come tiny on a piece of live rock and it's still doing fine now...

If its a sponge it will be fine if it's just out for a short time but it's bet to keep them in water where possible. Exposure to air for any length of time may cause damage to surface cells and lead to ammonia. From experience this only really happens when it's allowed to get dry but this can happen quickly in some cases. As for what kind of sponge... Post a pic and I'll see if I can help!

Back
Top Bottom