I really did it this time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't really feel like I have figured the Discus out yet. Even though I know how they have a sensitive psyche / sulky temperament, don't like anything new, except a new serving of food!

Ah, kidding aside, The little guys are growing up! They look lovely and the bigger tank is needed now! And they will likely hate it for awhile.

There is a big tank I have been watching develop for a few years now, it has Discus with lots of other fish and the Discus seem to not be bothered by the activity, act sort of like they think they are invisible to the other fish but also don't want to be in the other fishes space for sure.

Hoping this will provide some inspiration!

Don't know if you have ever seen it

Last edited:
I'm with you Aut. Discus alone in any tank setup, bare or aquascaped equals beautiful boredom. The awesomely decked out tank in the video demonstrates my point. If you just concentrate on the trophy class Discus, you'll notice that there isn't a lot going on with them other than hovering. The enormous school of Tetras and grouping of Geos gives the system movement and life along with added color. The Discus's contribution besides the obvious brilliant colors and unique shape, is the exhibition of the fish keepers advanced knowledge and skills. Being able to integrate a special needs fish like a Discus into a planted community tank is truly one of the apex achievements on the FW side of the hobby.
I am certain Brook can do it.

I'm so down with that tank haha. I really want some geos. I'm apprehensive to mix the stocking. These guys are fussy the rams can be too much for them at times. I also like the hospital vibe in this tank. I can scrub every square inch clean white. Than again... its white....

Been on cruise control for a while. Have not bought any fish in months and months. Went to my beloved Uncle neds for some feeder snails. I was all but out the door when I decided to take a stroll by the discus tanks... what a blessed mistake.... 4 monster wc discus.. I was shocked... jave never seen them in person. The largest is close to 7" and as wide as a ping pong ball.. amazing. I was afraid to ask the price as it was unlisted. Ned said $200.. I asked for a deal if I took 2?? No... its $200 and you have to take all of them. He had sold them to a friend 3 years ago as juvies. I had to take them. Setting up a 65 gallon Blackwater tank :D 20181120_164742_002.jpg

You only live once, Brook. Sometimes you've got to go for it. The WC's aren't too common anymore. Really good pick up.

Do you want the blackwater tonic stuff you sent me earlier this year? I never used it (CB sent me a ton of leaves).

Thats along the lines of the discus tank my father and I are gonna start building this winter. Low tech minus the black water.

So Lovely. Breathtaking.

Check out Tannin Aquatics for some cool leaf litter. Rachel O'Leary just posted about a sweet haul of goodies, a few days back.

I have a whole mess of IAL somewhere down here..... finding it is another thing... I have accumulated the most "stuff" its depressing at this point. May have to free cycle and make some beginners week haha. I'm going to use humic acid for the majority of staining. A dabeldooyah

Back
Top Bottom