I screwed up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With all due respect, this thread is a train wreck.

Patience is the greatest tool.
Use it.

Yes, your tank was green.
So, you had company coming over.
"Excuse the tank, got a great algae bloom on the go". That's all you had to say.
Or throw a blanket over it, if you didn't want them to see it at all. "Sorry about the blanket, plants are settling in".
Instead, you dumped a whole bunch of stuff in there and created more problems.

So many people here told you how to correct it, but they all take time. So, instead of following the advice, you do your own thing.

See what happens now.
Hopefully you've managed to sort it somehow.

Taking out the water won't have hurt the cycle as long as the filter media stayed wet and it was a timely switch. 95% of your bacteria are in your filter media, and the other 5% are scattered around substrate, decor, and the water column.

If changing water is too much effort, maybe go back to the smaller tank for now.

Haha, alright ya the 20 isn't overstocked, it has 9 fish in it... and the 60 got a tiny bit of a white cloud? Is that bacteria starting to grow? New set up (or resetup) same sand, filter (but really well cleaned), and same dw and plants. Added the 3 angelfish today its been 3 days water temp is stabalized and i didn't want to risk loosing the angels cus I had fish jump out of the green water... angels are a regular striped angel, black angel, and platunum angel. So ya they weren't cheap.
You said you cleaned your filter real good, hope you didn't cause a minicycle on top of your other problems. Test water and watch carefully. [emoji51]

If changing water is too much effort, maybe go back to the smaller tank for now.

I was thinking the same thing. I've read about people working to minimize water changes when dealing with water rationing, but even then there is no substitute for a water change.

It's not an indictment of your character to step back from a hobby you don't have the resources for. Quite the contrary. You love your angels, but I would love a mini hairy cow.

mini-highland-cow-sparkles-1.JPG

Her name is Sparkles

I don't have a two horse trailer to bring her home. I don't have the acreage to give her room to roam. If I were to resist picking up cow pies, it would be a pretty silly to expect the animal to be healthy and happy.

If you can't change the water, you can't pick up cow pies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing. I've read about people working to minimize water changes when dealing with water rationing, but even then there is no substitute for a water change.

It's not an indictment of your character to step back from a hobby you don't have the resources for. Quite the contrary. You love your angels, but I would love a mini hairy coo.

mini-highland-cow-sparkles-1.JPG

Her name is Sparkles

I don't have a two horse trailer to bring her home. I don't have the acreage to give her room to roam. If I were to resist picking up cow pies, it would be a pretty silly to expect the animal to be healthy and happy.

If you can't change the water, you can't pick up cow pies.

Haha beautifully put! That cow is ADORABLE!!!

Why is my water like a white cloud? I did 100% water change haha and uuh new filters but everything else is same, (sand wood plants) is it bacteria growing? Thanks its been 4 days

You basically just started with a brand new tank since you got rid of your growing bio media

Ya i screwed up with this tank :( but i need to fix this, the water is turning cloudy, white cloudy, what do I do? Is this bacteria... and i'm only 1 year into aquariums so im still new at this and don't really know what i'm doing. Thanks

Pic? Is it milky, almost sparkly, or just cloudy not clear?

Did you read the article in thy signature? If not please do. Sometimes it takes a few times reading through all this stuff before it starts clicking into memory.

Are you testing the water?
As posted before watch for cycling or minicycle.

Alright guys can you please help me out what should i do?
Parameters:
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
GH: 150
KH: 180
PH: 7.8

Alright science class is useful but this isn;t going to helpe my tank haha ive had this prioblem for about a month now i am soooooo sick and tired so any just any advice would be nice, what is that white cloud?????? Thanks

I got a similar whitish cloud after I did a blackout for algae and was working on water changes. Try a settling drop like acurelf. You may have small particulate floating in the water from the new filters or sand. That's why they say to rinse sands and filters before use.

I would also highly recommend you get a master testing kit to make sure your parameters are accurate. You will have less headaches in the end.

No its not that, old sand and i rinsed the filters, and chemicals kill my fish ive lost like 30 dollars of fsh in the last week so im so done with stupid chemicals

Alright science class is useful but this isn;t going to helpe my tank haha

Knowledge can only help you if you use it.

Your white cloud is probably a bacterial bloom. You restarted your cycle and have new tank syndrome.

There are two different bacterium that we refer to as nitrifying bacteria-- Nitrosomonasor or nitrosococcus consume ammonia and excrete nitrite. There's some oxidation that goes on, nitribactor consumes that nitrite and excretes nitrate.

While the bacteria are out of balance, some over populate and create milky clouds.

Knowing this helps your tank by making you a more capable aquarist.

Back
Top Bottom