I screwed up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The acurelf is an organic product that makes particles stick together. It's not a chemical.

Most "chemicals" in this hobby won't kill your fish. Chlorine used in city water disinfection, ammonia, nitrites, and over medicating for diseases is usually the culprit. Things like prime only help there is not really a way they can harm your fish unless they were swimming in an giant vat of it. I dosed a double amount of prime every day for a month during a cycle to keep my fish alive when I made a filter cleaning mistake. You just have to do your research before you use something. I went through soooooooooo many articles looking for answers. Seachem prime and stability are your best friends if you read the dosing instructions and follow them.

And The test kit doesn't go in the water is an outside the water test. You fill up vials with your tank water and add drops of indicators and they tell you the level of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the water. This is crucial because the test strips are wildly inaccurate.

Get an API master test kit. You'd think we're selling them, but really it's that I learned the hard way that:
1. strips are more expensive than liquid per test, and
2. buying the whole kit is less expensive than buying individual tests.

You need to know your ammonia levels, so you need to buy at least that test.

There are some great articles on this site about doing a fish-in cycle, including this one .

If using a garden hose is going to be the best way for you to do water changes, get a hose safe for potable water, a few five gallon buckets, and at least one extra heater.

Test your water every day until your cycle is complete. Change the water when nitrogen levels get too high, which might mean daily water changes for a bit.

Be patient. This isn't a decoration. You have an ecosystem, and it needs to establish and regulate itself. Little nudges can cause big swings, so be careful when making any changes.

Keep asking questions. Read articles about all of your stock. Watch YouTube videos or even take a biology class.

Enjoy it.

Possibly, but probably not. That's why we've been telling you and everyone else who has trouble on this forum to TEST YOUR WATER , we can't guess (and neither can you) what's wrong in your tank.

But once we have reliable, complete tests of your water chemistry we will have a more accurate understanding of what's happening, if we ( and you) keep guessing you may never get your problems resolved. [emoji6]

Russianaquarium you will get through this. Don't give up. You did the best you could. It's all fixable.Every one here have made mistakes. Read the forums, ask questions, read labels. I contact the manufacturers if I;m not sure of something. Enjoy the hobby it's a wonderful and exciting world to create.

In very simple terms just like some garden plants can grow in certain soil and temperatures it's the same for fish and plants. Take a sample of water to the pet shop have them test it.Make sure they tell you the complete results not just "it's fine". But you still need that test kit. If you don't understand something ask. I can't tell you how long it took me to learn DW is driftwood. I thought it was a chemical.

Definitely don't give up. It's a pain now, but once you get it? It's awesome.

As others said, we've all made mistakes.

I still make mistakes.

We learn.

Unless you actually see the pet shop using a reliable liquid test kit, it's really a waste of time.
Can't stress enough...get the API liquid test kit.

Back
Top Bottom