I think I did something bad... :( Kribensis people help plz?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bunebop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright,

well, I've had NUMEROUS issues with my big tank in the past. Basically I had water issues and all the fish I put in it died. I finally went to this very good but very expensive fish store near my work because they seem the best educated. It took ~3 months... but I finally got my water parameters under control. I took in another water sample today and they fish guy said it was finally good and I should be able to get some new fish in there. Prior to today I had some tetras, danios, 1 cory cat and some plecos (1 clown and 3 pitbulls) I wanted something sturdy but something that can also stand my fairly high pH and odd hardnesses. I had thought about angels and gouramis but decided not to risk either. I asked the guy if it was his tank what he would put in it and he recommended some kribensis. I looked through a couple of the books there and asked some of the other people there if that would work in my tank and everything since I know for the most part you can't mix chiclids with regular tropical fish and everything seemed to indicate that, yeah, it wouldn't be an issue. I ended up getting two kribensis's at the store. They seem to be getting along ok w/ the swimming fish... however I have noticed some nipping at the bottom fish (i.e. my cory and my pit bull plecos. Nothing with the clown thus far). Does anyone else have these fish and can tell me if this is normal? I went to dinner and before dinner I thought that the fins were all fine on 2/3 pit bulls but now all three are torn up etc and i saw it nip at the cory although there's presently no fin damage. theres are some but not a lot of hiding places in the tank (it's a 55 gallon) but I'm still worried about it because these are my favorite fish that are getting picked on. Anyway, I was just wondering if these should be returned? Or if they'll get over it... or if it'll get worse etc. thanks!

:( Crap. Ok. And I can't get up there tomorrow :( it's an hour away and I have to take my dad to the airport :( Is there anything i can do w/ them till sunday? i hope they take them back

*UPDATE*
Alright well, I caught them both and put them in breeders nets so that they can't kill anything over night and I'm getting up super early tomorrow morning and calling the store and taking em back and hopefully getting back before I have to take my dad to the airport. hopefully they'll be ok in the breeders nets overnight. I put 1 in each net so that they'd have more room and I caught them pretty fast so hopefully they won't be too stressed out. Anyway, I'm going to bed since I'm getting up really early. Thanks!!

Do the kribs have their own hiding place?

I have two kribs in my community tank and they are doing really well. They are only supposed to be aggressive during breeding (and with fry in the tank).

My kribs have their own little spot, and no one bothers them... and there for no one gets nipped at =o

Well, there are caves etc in the tank and I haven't seen any agression towards my clown plecos... but all 3 of my pitbull plecos are missing their fins and I saw them go after my cory cat. =/

I have 4 kribs in a community tank with khuli loaches, yo-yos, plecos, white clouds and a few cories. The kribs did not do well with other dwarf cichlids, but over the past year+, this tank has been stable with minimal problems, even during breeding. The tank has lots of woods and low light plants and a huge castle for fish to hide in.

~moved to cichlid discussion subforum :D~

Kribs should be fine. You might see some aggression between the kribs or other cichlids in the tank but they will mostly likely ignore the others in the tank.

I have my kribs in a 75g planted tank and they have taking over one end of the tank. But that's just do to breeding and fry. There in with GBR's,Apisto's ,killis , guppys ,ADF ,Puffers,Bumble bee gobys and there is no fin nipping even on my gold nugetand High fin pokey dot plecos. I'd say yours are just trying to get a terrtorrie for them self and antil they do and every thing stays out of it. There going to nip at them.
Once the other fish stay out of there new terrtorie. The fin nipping and stuff will stop.

We had Kribs in a community tank a couple years ago and they only seemed to nip at each other I don't remember any issues with the other fish they were in there for some time as well.

They were very aggressive towards each other though and they never bred for us. We also had Keyhole Cichlids in the same tank and they were not aggressive what so ever.

Back
Top Bottom