I think I stole a fish..lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellawson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was at a "super store" yesterday and I always cruise by the fish section first (I don't know why really it always frustrates me) and there was a clerk actually cleaning the tanks out! I didn't want to give him any reason to stop so I just went about the rest of my shopping but when I was done curiosity got the better of me so I went back to see if the tanks looked any better. When I got back around there he was dumping the Betta cups down the drain FISH AND ALL! I asked if they were all dead and he said "looks like it" he picked up one cup and shook it popped off the top and poured it out! I looked into the sink and and saw four little fish plastered to the bottom of the drain. In the three cups that were left two was clearly dead but one just looked lifeless not moving but not laying flat down either told him I didn't think that one is dead maybe just needs some fresh water then he said "well I gotta dump them all anyway I already marked the cups". I asked if he could put him in a bag and let me take him he just shrugged and poured him in a bag and said "better hide it or you'll have to pay for a dead fish. There was no way I was going to get caught for shoplifting a fish so I showed himto the cashier and she shrugged and said don't worry about it. So I brought him home and put him in an empty 10 gallon my husband bought me at the flea market 2 weeks ago to stop my endless whining about breaking my 30 gallon. He is still alive his fins are a little worse for wear but so far he seems ok I'm not expecting a miracle but I'm figuring either way its better than the drain.

I did something similar at Wal Mart . The wife was doing some shopping so I was checking out the fish . They had one pitiful looking small African cichlid in a tank full of larger ones .It was beat to death and half dead . I asked the girl working there , why don't you give me that fish . She said she could not give it away or she would get fired , but she would let me have it for a dollar ( I thought to myself , what's a dollar) . So I bought him , nursed him back to health, he grew up to be a big brute and lived for years . He just died of old age in Jan. .

this really is the only way to "save" the fish. buying them sure doesnt help lol

IMO walmart should not sell fish. I think their fish keeping practice is cruel. I think someone should step in and forbid them for selling fish.

Good save though, I am routing for the betta!

walmart brings in a ton of people into the hobby. the only reason they sell fish is to sell the other stuff that comes with it. though they are stopping selling fish in the usa and canada.

Yeah i dont want to get in the whole anti-wally world topic, but i just think if theyre going to sell them then the practices should be watched over. Either way i would still rather support the mom and pop fish store that specialize in fish rather than pick up my shampoo, spark plugs and tetras in the same place..just my opinion though.

What's wrong with Wal-Mart selling fish? I mean, you get a heck of a deal. Just think about all the neat little bacteria, parasites, and fungi that come along free of charge. Talk about a rollback.

Yesterday all hid did was pretty much lay in various corners of the tank but this morning when I turned the light on he was right in the front of the tank waving his fins all around. He really is a pretty fish I have never had a Betta before, come to think of it I don't think I have ever seen one that wasn't in a cup or a picture. I shall name him Felony..lol

That's the thing I can't get it to drop down, open, or anything I am having issues with my hard drive some things work some don't...but that's another battle anyhow....I tried using it as my profile pic for the time being so lets see if that works.

Ok you can see his pic but you have to go to my profile. I don't know if I am having a huge brain fart or if its just techie type issues but I can't get it to work. I am supposed to get a new hard drive (after a loooong battle with India or rather Dells customer service) so if that is the issue I will post pics then. Deal?

Back
Top Bottom