I think I'm losing her

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Heartbroken because I don't know what do about Violet. She's still laying on the bottom of the aquarium, doing the crazy fish swim to get some air & then back to the bottom. I've added the Pimafix & Melafix this morning & will probably take her home with me this afternoon so I can keep an eye on her over the weekend but am afraid the stress of moving her might be too much. I really hate this, any suggestions on what I can do further to help her? As stated in a previous post she is a Betta in a 1g aquarium, planted with a heater (added a week ago) & there was a "non-aquarium" plant I added about 2 weeks ago. She had a grayish spot appear on her, I treated with Pimafix, it seemed to go away, but then was back this week MUCH worse. Whatever it is is eating her flesh. I've done 2 water changes this week. She's not eating & has little interaction with me which is highly unusual for her. I hate that she is most likely suffering, what to do, what to do.

DAILY 80% water changes. A 1G is too small to avoid deteriorating water conditions for long. Stop the meds.

DAILY 80% water changes. A 1G is too small to avoid deteriorating water conditions for long. Stop the meds.

+1

I agree with the above, and while I understand the concern about the move, the daily water changes are going to be very important. I'd take her home so that you can continue with the water changes over the weekend. In my opinion, the risk of stress from the move is less than the risk posed by not doing daily water changes -- especially in the betta's already weakened state.

Good luck!

Doing the daily water changes is not a problem & yes I understand the aquarium should be bigger, my main concern right now is getting whatever is eating her flesh to stop! It's VERY aggressive & if it's not under control soon she'll be gone. Only doing water changes is going to get rid of what's eating her?

Doing the daily water changes is not a problem & yes I understand the aquarium should be bigger, my main concern right now is getting whatever is eating her flesh to stop! It's VERY aggressive & if it's not under control soon she'll be gone. Only doing water changes is going to get rid of what's eating her?

I understand the severity of the situation.

Dosing meds properly is also very difficult in such a small volume of water.

Will only doing water changes get rid of what's eating her? The truth is, maybe not.

That said, the meds might not either.

As you know, you have a very sick fish. You may lose her no matter what you do, despite your best efforts.

She's your fish, so do what you think is best for her, but my opinion is to keep the water quality as pristine as possible via daily changes. This may not be enough, ultimately, to save her, but clean water will give her immune system its best chance.

Good luck!

Having a fish in a too small environment, with what sounds like a lot of other "stuff", i.e., heater, plants, fake plants, can sometimes itself be the root of the problem. Basically, the fish has nowhere to go for swimming space.

I know you've got the best intentions to heal her, but honestly, a larger tank and lots of clean water would really help you achieve that goal. You can also soak her food in Garlic Guard to build up her immune system.

Please let us know how she's doing and good luck.

I agree with the daily water changes. However, if her flesh is being eaten away, I would suggest treating him/her with an antibiotic in combination with water changes. I do not know what you have access to meds-wise for treatment. Kanamycin sulfate would be my first choice (Kanaplex, Kana-Pro, other names). Minocycline (Maracyn2- not Maracyn) would be second. Let us know what you find & we can suggest how to approach this in combination with daily wcs.

Thanks all. I'll do the best I can to save her. Right now I'm at work & can't do much until I get her home here in a little bit.

So I have Violet home; I stopped on the way & bought a 10g tank. It is now set up & I added the "cycler" stuff, does this work? Will I be able to put her in any time like it says? Right now I have her in her travel cup & really want to get her out. I can't put her in my other 10g because I have 2 other female Bettas & I know they don't get along plus I don't want to chance them getting what she has. Thanks for any help. She seems a little peppier so I'm a little more optimistic.

This is what I added:

image-3949481349.jpg

This will be her new home:

image-3321799274.jpg

Add as much gravel and filter media as you can spare from the other tank.

Add as much gravel and filter media as you can spare from the other tank.

+1

Agree with the above.

And yes, move her as soon as you can. Acclimate for temperate and differences in water chemistry as you would when taking a new fish home, but if the choice is between a 1 gallon and an uncycled 10 gallon, in my opinion, the 10 gallon is the better option, hands down.

Thank you for the replies. I could tell she was stressed by her coloring so I went ahead and moved her into the 10g. Her color came back really fast so I'm hoping she's going to do okay. The spot on her back isn't quite as red as it was earlier today so keeping my fingers crossed and will keep a very close eye on her. I'll make sure to test the water and then make whatever adjustments I need to. Hopefully she'll start eating again & all will be good. :)

Thank you for the replies. I could tell she was stressed by her coloring so I went ahead and moved her into the 10g. Her color came back really fast so I'm hoping she's going to do okay. The spot on her back isn't quite as red as it was earlier today so keeping my fingers crossed and will keep a very close eye on her. I'll make sure to test the water and then make whatever adjustments I need to. Hopefully she'll start eating again & all will be good. :)

Glad to hear her color is better!

And you're on the right track... watch that water quality like a hawk and you'll be giving her every opportunity you can to get well.

Keep watching it when she improves and you'll help keep her from getting sick in the first place in the future.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

RussellC said:
Glad to hear her color is better!

And you're on the right track... watch that water quality like a hawk and you'll be giving her every opportunity you can to get well.

Keep watching it when she improves and you'll help keep her from getting sick in the first place in the future.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thank you. Now that she's in the 10g & hopefully on the mend, how much water & how often should I do a water change? Or do the water parameters dictate that? Yes, I am quite the amateur so please excuse any stupid questions.

Thank you. Now that she's in the 10g & hopefully on the mend, how much water & how often should I do a water change? Or do the water parameters dictate that? Yes, I am quite the amateur so please excuse any stupid questions.

You'll be doing what's called a 'fish-in' cycle with your betta in that 10 gallon.

Give this resource a read, and if you have any questions, ask.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

The link above will explain the whole process, but ammonia is going to start rising in the 10 gallon, so you'll want to do partial water changes of like temperature conditioned tap water to keep ammonia levels down.

Best!

Back
Top Bottom