I think my clowns are makimg babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sergie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My clowns have been acting strangely today. They're both kind of hanging out near the back inbetween rocks (their home). They don't look sick. The female is being extremely territorial and will chase anyother fish away. The male rarely comes out and seems very careful of his movements near the base of one of the rocks near their home? Does this behavior sound like clown breeding behavior. They have been mated a few times before I bought them.

If they were laying eggs previously then it will take some time but they will start doing it again. Sounds to me like there may be a batch back there, or on the way shortly.

So if this were the case, if and when they hatch, will they just be fish food? Will it affect the adults seeing all their young get eaten? May sound dumb but i've never bred fish before.

Sergie said:
So if this were the case, if and when they hatch, will they just be fish food? Will it affect the adults seeing all their young get eaten? May sound dumb but i've never bred fish before.

I would be interested to know the answer too. I've bred cichlids before but never clowns. Clown fish that is :)

Yes, they will be fish food. They would have to be raised in a breeder tank with special needs. If I recall correctly from reading.

Would the clowns eat them too? Are the chances of any of them making it none to none? I know there are a lot of obstacles to endure for the fish babies.

Ok the male is releasing white stringy stuff behind the rock so I could only assume it's sperm. Looks like I'm having babies.

They fry will not survive in your DT. There's a process to raising them. Some do it some don't. It doesn't effect the clowns whether you do or not. One day I might give raising them a shot, but for now I don't.

Back
Top Bottom