I think our fish is sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMOOOZZZ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When we first brought our fish home back in November he was very sociable now he hides inside the ship, he chases anyone who comes close to his ship. What worries me is that he's not eating with the rest of our fish for sometime now. Unfortunately I'm not home right now to look at my water test results from today. I do know 0 Ammonia, I can't remember which nitrate & nitrite result it was. One was 40ppm & other was 20ppm. I've done 3 50% water changes and vacuumed the poop. I've attached a picture he's the blue stripe guy.

image-1595737069.jpg

Well he's a cichlid and will be territoral. He has claimed the ship. But you do need to get those numbers down. How long have you had the tank up? How big is the tank?

Bought tank in October did a fishless cycle and cycle was complete a week before Thanksgiving its a 30 gallon tank.
I don't think he's eating, is the Nitrates the cause of him not eating?

Could very well be the cause. How long since he's eaten?

Keep up with the water changes. Those levels can be toxic. Try that first. Any other symptoms?

I just got home he ate a little and continue to guard his ship. I recheck the water Nitrite .25 ppm & Nitrate 5.0 ppm

I'd do at least one more water change tomorrow and test again in a couple of days. Sounds like he has decided that's his home. With those fish it's good to have at least one 'cave' per fish.

Back
Top Bottom