i tried something in my sink...and it happens on pwc's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
okay i did this once awhile ago.. i pumped air down the sink, and it seemed to be draining much faster than the water. also when i do pwc's when air gets the tube during a siphon, it like.. speeds up the water? or something... id think air would go slower since being forced to sink.. ?? any thoughts?

Ok your mad. :lol:

Why did you pump air down your sink? Curious.

Air is lighter than water. it gets trapped by the water bringing it into the tube. Then it gets pushed and it gets faster and faster with the increase in pressure.

Just a guess.

Your guess is right on. The process of a vacuum is to create as much air pressure possible. That makes the suction stronger. The vacuum cleaner has always suffered from this malady...the amount of available air is reduced, thereby lowering the suctioning power and leaving dirt on your carpet.

it was like clogged, and the pump thing worked with one of my tubs so.. tried it. :)

Well, if enough air gets trapped in the tubing, the flow can actually slow down. I don't know how much air this would take, but in small bore tubing systems (such as in an intravenous drip) a few inch buble can really slow the flow. Exrapolating to a python size tube, I would think it would take several feet of air.

As for when you first start up your python, it seems to me to be slower when there is not water in it at the start, then speeds up as more and more air is eliminated. You have to be careful that coils in the tubing don't give the optical illusion that that things are speeding up in the coils compared to the straight parts. I have never really studied or tested this though.

Back
Top Bottom