I would like an Elephant nose...but

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redwhiptailplec

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have fallen in love with Elephant Noses, they are gorgeous and I love the idea of placing a tinfoil ball in for them to play with! Which I read you can do, its electric properties make it attractive to their weak electric organ...

But I would be placing it in a 55 gallon with, 1 Angel, 2 ParrotS, 1 Pleco, 11 Neons, 6 Flame Tetras, 1 Upside down Catfish, 5 Albino Cories, 1 Rubber Lipped Pleco and 4 Ottocinclus Cats.....The Pleco is about 6", the rubber lipped 1 1/2" the Angel full grown, the Parrots about 3" each, everyone gets along great.

All my nitrate etc. levels are perfect, the tank is heavily planted.....can I have an Elephnat Nose in there? I am inclined to think I ought not to....but I want one!

I suppose I am looking to be talked out of it here.....

Oh and sadly there is absolutely no way I can buy a new tank. Though I do plan on upgrading from the 55 gallon to say a 90 in about three years, if just for my plecos sake.

I was talking to the owner of my local fish shop yesterday actually about elephant noses, I thought they were fasinating myself considering it was the first time i had actually seen one in person, I was asking him questions about what they eat, what kinda water settings they need and what not and he mentioned they have a tendacy to root around in the substrate and pull up plants, I'm not sure if they do it all the time or what, but thats what i was told, hope it helps

Thanks for the input guys! The links were great, I do worry that feeding any fish just blood worms would be insufficient, I have read some take flake....Hmmm, very tempting...

What does everyone think about my stocking level though? I do not want to overstock even for such a cool fishy.

I have a couple of Tanganykian spiny eels that eat frozen bloodworms, and occaisonally frozen brine shrimp. The female has laid eggs twice, so it must be a good enough diet for them.
As for the stocking, personally I'd lose the parrots. They will grow much larger over time. I'm surprised a full grown angel hasn't eaten the neons.

Back
Top Bottom