Ich in my planted molly tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kage Davies

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sorry this is a long one. I've not dealt with fish illness before.

I have two 60litre (15gal, I think) tanks. I set them up for several days before buying fish from two different sources, one shop online and one local store. I kept the fish from different places completely seperate for 10 days or so and kept a close eye on their health and behavoir, before swapping them between tanks so that one has a small mix and one has only mollies and a long fin BN pleco.

I didn't cycle the tanks because I'm not able to care for them entirely by myself. The lady who cares for me also does my tank maintenance, and has kept fish successfully for many years. She believes it to be unnecessary and I couldn't convince her otherwise. I started the tanks with two or three fish each, and then increased six or seven from the same sources a week later. So all in all my tanks are I think about three weeks old. The parameters have been fine, although I can't seem to find my test kit today to take new readings to post. As soon as I turn it up I will.

Two days ago, a few days after I switched the fishes into the 'right' tanks, I noticed my smallest gold molly had white patches on her fins. I wasn't sure if they'd been there before since she is from a gold/white/black marbled group and she's very pale. But the next day the white spots were very visible on my black molly. All of them now seem to have speckles, and are itching against the rocks and plants.

I immediately increased the temperature of my tank and removed the BN plec to his own small QT tank with a freshly boiled piece of bogwood and a rock. I read that he will need a lower dose of meds than the mollies because of his scales? Plus he is very small at the moment, and I didn't want him to become any more infected than he may be. He seems fine and shows no visible signs so far. I also did a 25% water change in the molly tank on the first day, and then another 30-40% on the second day, as well as hoovering the sand substrate and wiping over the filter intake.

The tank has an APS 600IF with the spray bar attatchment. I was originally going to use it for cichlid fry but I bought them a larger tank, hence the overfiltration. It has a playsand subrate, two medium pieces of bogwood, several tiny pieces with java fern and anubias, a large piece with java moss and a moss ball. And a piece of quartz rock from the fish store. Do I need to remove the plants and other furniture from the molly tank? I read that the parasite breeds on the substrate and in the tank acessories, and I didn't know if it would help eradicate it. If I remove the plants, how would be best to keep them while the parasite dies out?

I've lost one fish so far, who had a popped up and blackened eye. I think she itched it against on of the rocks and injured it, since she was underneath the little rock overhang when we found her dead. I think the eye injury was the cause of her demise, since it was quite nasty and she didn't have much sign of ich. I removed the rock overhang to be sure the others don't rub against it also.

I ordered some meds online since I don't have immediate access to the fish store. Should I also order some aquarium salt? I wasn't sure about using it with the plec sharing their tank, and was assured that it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Lastly, how worried should I be about the other tank? I moved two fish from the infected tank into the other tank several days ago. I can't see any signs of ich in there at all as of ten minutes ago, but should I be increasing the temp just in case? Is it likely to have spread?

Anyway, all help appreciated as always. Especially if you read through all that. xx

From my research with regards to ich I don't think it would do much good keeping fish quarantined when they are most likely to be infected anyway - I'd imagine that would be just spreading the disease to more tanks.

My fish had (or are currently undergoing treatment for) ich. As soon as I noticed I went to a fish store and bought white spot treatment suitable for both coldwater and tropical fish. I applied this and the next day the clear symptoms disappeared from my fishes skin. It's the parasites that are the problem.

I also used aquarium salts, and in attempt to remove the extremely difficult parasites from the tank I perform a 25% water change every two days, adding salts as I do.

As I said my fish appear to be happier and symptom free just after me using these salts and treatment and performing water changes, but as I mentioned before the parasites are the nuisance and therefore we won't know til the future whether my treatments have actually been successful.

I posted a threat about this also and someone recommended a vortex diatom filter. I did some googling and apparently these really do help clear up outbreaks of white spot as they actually manage to kill the parasite.

Ultimately my advice would be to get a treatment along with suitable aquarium salts and do your water changes more frequently (however allowing time for the treatment to work it's course before emptying the tank)

I treated them asap but it doesn't seem to have done much for their visible symptoms so far. They had a water change before treatment and will get another three days after dosing to allow it to work, as recommended on the packet.

The pleco I moved because he can't handle the full dose of medication, it was recommended to give his tank a half dose and I wanted the mollies, who seem terribly effected, to get the full round. He still appears symptom free in his own little tank, but time will tell I suppose.

What treatment did you use? I got an own brand treatment from a pet store the brand is called "I love fish" I'm sure but that was amongst a whole load of others including those by interpet and such. Amazon and eBay have a lot of brands, I also heard that treatment is diluted in order to prevent overdose to the extent that it's practically mainly diluting as opposed to actual treatment and I was recommended to add a dose and a half instead of the recommended.

Back
Top Bottom