Ich or white spot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corycat1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 90 litre cycled tank fully planted. I originally treated for white spot when the cory catfish, 6 no started flicking. I thought one had the spots but perhaps it was sand. The Sterbai x 2 are gasping quickly. I have gradually turned up the temperature and done a water change. I do them weekly. Temp currently at 26 c. I will go to 28 c by tomorrow. I only did half quantity of the white spot treatment and have added 2 tblsp of aquarium salt. Should I sit and wait or can I do anything else. I have tested the water for nitrate and ammonia and all ok.

Thanks.:fish2:

Hi, Corycat!! Welcome to AA!!! Stay on top of keeping your water healthy & i would gradually work on increasing your temp to @31c (@87-88f). Heat alone for 2 wks should be sufficient to kill off the ich but the low dose of salt should help as well. It may get worse before it gets better, so dont be alarmed! Hope this helps! :)

Thanks v much! Just one question, I haven't seen any white spots. Could it be ich and if it isn't will the heat kill off any parasite. All but x2 of my Corys seem affected. I've had my fish for a few years and don't want to lose them. All still alive but still have rapid gill movement.

Thanks v much! Just one question, I haven't seen any white spots. Could it be ich and if it isn't will the heat kill off any parasite. All but x2 of my Corys seem affected. I've had my fish for a few years and don't want to lose them. All still alive but still have rapid gill movement.

Have you checked your water parameters for ammonia & nitrite recently? Always worth checking before considering anything else because detectable levels of amm/nitrite can cause rapid breathing. Heat will kill off ich (if thats what it is) but will not kill off all parasites/protozoas. There is a possibilty of gill flukes. Do you notice any other symptoms such as increased mucous or gill redness?

Back
Top Bottom