Ich problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay I have 7 angels - 6 of them in my display tank, 1 in my quarantine tank. Two seems to be paired up, they're the biggest out of all of the ones I have. The two tend to hang out on one side of the tank all the time, wouldn't be surprised if they claimed that spot as theirs since they chase down and bully anyone else that comes over to their spot. All of them do flick their veils (the two long thin fins.) And gasp or so called "yawning" poo tends to be red to dark red or clear. That goes for my BN pleco as well thou I have never seen him poo clear. Some of the angels do seem bloated Idk

But the effects on the live plants?

I used it with live plants and it had no bad side effects other than a few melted crypts. Yes Paragard works very good for ich too. I use Paragard on my receiving tanks with great success.

Well best of luck for me later tonight when I wake up and do a water change and a little plant trimming, as well as putting the spray bar back to its original position I started out with which was on the back with the spray facing the back wall angled downwards a little. But this time I'm wanting a better flow, have seen and keep seeing outputs being setup to have the water flow across the front just with a piece of pipe not a spray bar setup

Its your tank but are you sure you want to keep it with red lights? Imagine if you live in a room with only red lights. Maybe fish are not comfortable and an uncomfortable fish is imune to all the disease easily.

I don't always use red I have a finnex 24/7 and got a 24/7 se, sometimes I use both when I raise them up high but I only use one at a time - switching back n forth between the se and 24/7 until I get the light box/canopy built and figured out

Okay i think my fishies have intestinal flukes.. as i changed the water filter media and added fresh carbon i noticed a BUNCH of small white dots all over the glass and driftwood, the water also got cloudy pretty fast. Or would it be white spot ?? 20170422_055704.jpg

Attachments

• 20170422_055704.jpg
    20170422_055704.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20170422_055307.jpg
    20170422_055307.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170422_055322.jpg
    20170422_055322.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 56
White spot isn't visible until it develops on the fish so it's not that.

The white spots could be just detritus from the filter clean eg the meds killing off some of the bacterial population.

I can't see any signs of ich (could be there but I can't see it). Can't see any excessive slime either.

Re-reading this I got a bit of bloating and white poop. Which could be meds, old food, lack of variety in food, etc. I would make sure tank chemistry and fish food is good, try brine shrimp or no feeding for several days - see if changing food or no food makes a difference. Cut out the meds to see if that is just causing a tummy upset.

If you are seeing the fish thinning even though eating well, bloating even though good food and/or worms around the anus - I would look into trying API general cure with prazi and metro which will help with intestinal worms if present but are fairly safe for fish if not.

Last edited:
They seem to not be very fond of the flake foods only accept frozen blood worms, will get more brine shrimp (have been wanting to try to grow brine shrimp) < insights on that?? Also what fruits?? should i stick with to ensure they are getting all of the nutrition needed.

Also not to mention the water seems to be getting mire cloudy.... cycle restarting? Havent notice any spikes in any readings yet.

Could be it - the blood worms should only really be a treat several times a week. I feed NLS pellets (new life spectrum) which is expensive here but good quality I have found.

https://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Bloodworm

And every so often the frozen brine shrimp or frozen vegetable cubes. They aren't keen on vegetables so I feed them those first.

I've been pretty happy with that but we did see at a society meet recently on raising brine shrimp. Didn't look too hard and a shop may be able to help, I didn't bother getting any of the setups as I'm happy with the frozen cubes and wasn't fussed on spending the time as it was mainly aimed for fish breeders and I don't do that.

http://www.nlspectrum.co.uk

If the tank is going white cloudy it may be a heterotrophic bacterial bloom (from stirred up tank muck). These are seperate to the autotrophic nitrifying bacteria however I have found it can mean the bacterial populations are not settled.

It's a good observation you have made, generally the tank should settle and be fine. Just a matter of waiting it out. Imo avoid any big filter cleans just in case.

Hey there you guys, woke up last night noticing that my alpha angel has a HUGE hole in his head / the beginning stage, as to when i first got her (i think its a her lol) she did have an similar problem but not his big! 20170428_061215.jpg

Attachments

• 20170428_061215.jpg
    20170428_061215.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20170428_061228.jpg
    20170428_061228.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 45
If the tank is going white cloudy it may be a heterotrophic bacterial bloom (from stirred up tank muck). These are seperate to the autotrophic nitrifying bacteria however I have found it can mean the bacterial populations are not settled.

It's a good observation you have made, generally the tank should settle and be fine. Just a matter of waiting it out. Imo avoid any big filter cleans just in case.
Taking your advice on letting the bacteria build up, however i still do a weekly water change? Ive been watching the ph and nh3 the ph has been in its high 7s nearing number 8 has dropped lower to 7.6 after staying around 7.8 now its reading out as 7.5 as for the ammonia it was at .030 for awhile now its at .024.

I did do that as re-reading your message and felt pretty stupid asking if i do normal water changes, speaking of the water, i know the ph from the tap water i get is around 8 and the ph in my 55 seemed to be dropping lower than 7.5 as thats another reason why i did the water change, yet its still dropping, its 7.2-3 now.... any concerns i should be aware of? Ive heard of something about ph crash or a mini cycle after the last medication treatment?

Hi, if your water is soft (low kh) then increased bacterial activity will consume kh (carbonate) buffers more quickly and lower your ph. Increased water changes, then crushed coral (slow to increase ph/kh) or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda - quick to increase ph/kh so start small doses) will help if ph continues to fall. I'd pick up a kh test so you can monitor. My water out of tap is ~8.2, after 24hrs sitting in a jar degassing tap is say 7.8 and tank has settled at say 7.3.

If water changes don't cure the hole in the head, then onto antibiotics.

Good luck, post back if anything crops up but hopefully goes well.
Everything seemed to be getting a little better until suddenly two of my angels have laid eggs! My first time experiencing this, i have created a thread under breeding, excited and nervous

Back
Top Bottom