Ich (white spots)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bisonbauer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am having a little trouble with my fish atm. I have 4 platy and 1 of them has very quickly grown some white spots over its tail and sides. How do I know if it is ich or if it's fungus and is there a good quick treatment? I have heard about temperature change but I don't want any more infected fish or frog..

Ick looks like white specs like salt and fungus is a bit bigger and fuzzy. I treated ick wit super ick by API and temp raised to 85 . Not sure how to help fungus I had little success with that other than reducing feeding frequent WC I tried fungus removers with no success it eventually went away but I lost lots of fish I'm not sure how ick meds would affect a frog

You can also treat ich by salt, but if you add too much salt to your aquarium your frog will die.
Good water quality and daily water changes are a must. Even if there isnt any ich on the other fish, there is free swimming ich parasites in the tank and gravel.

About the frog, what I meant is if you choose salt treatment you will need to quarantine the froggie

Ok. It seems to be salt like and I have turned the heater up 2 degrees C. I heard that higher temperatures speed up the clearing process so I will look up possible treatments tomorrow Incase my diagnosis is accurate from descriptions I have been given. Thank you for the advice

Ahh that salt idea might work! I was going to do a full water change tomorrow. How long will i need to salt the water for because I don't have a fantastic quarantine for the frog...

A recommended time to keep salt in the aquarium is 3 days after ich spots have disappeared from the fish.
Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot

Also, it is best to do a 60 percent water change, or even 75, instead of a full water change. With the nitrogen cycle and all, too much of a water change can potentially set it back to where it began - spiking of ammonia followed by spiking of nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom