ICH!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My hawkfish has ich, he has white spots spread out on his body and they are pretty bright, the only thing I know of getting rid of it is flush him :( Poor guy, I dont want to add the copper cuz the inverts in there, the thing that stumps me is that I got him about 4weeks ago :( My teach says that it is caused by temp what on earth do I do??? I asked my dad about a qt tank but he said hes no way spending $1000 on a qt :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

flushing is NOT a cure.

QT tanks do NOT cost very much money at all. All you need for a QT is a small 10 gallon tank, a HOB filter with a sponge and a heater. Thats all you need for a QT.

Set up the HOB on your main tank with the sponge filter so the sponge can absorb some bacteria. Then put water from your main tank into the QT and move the HOB to the QT as well.

Put your fish into the QT and treat just the QT tank until the Ich is cured.

You MUST leave your main tank absent of fish for... I can't remember the duration, but I believe it is at least 3 weeks to be sure the ich dies off.

After that, acclimate your fish back to your main tank's water and temperature.

I got a penguin 330 hob with ceramic rings and chemi pure they make up for the baskets. So I take a sponge from my already established tank and squeeze it into the qt??? Thanks :roll: hope my dad will accept the idea of the qt tank

Aint got eclipse tanks up here where i am at, I dunno why. For 73$ my lfs has a 20gal with everything xept they dont have a sw filter, its like a fw setup but I could use the light and he tank and just set aside the other stuff that is for a fw :)

I have a great article on this if you would like to read it. Just click on my site and go to the educational section. Its towards the bottom, and is called "marine ich."

1. Temp does not cause ich. It has to be present in the water already.

2. Leaving the tank fallow for 4-5 weeks will be enough to kill it off in the main tank.

3. The life cycle of the parasite is 4 weeks. QT him for 5 and treat him and you can put him back in the tank provided he is spot free.

I would suggest the article. It is much more detailed and it covers all of the major treatments for ich.

Squishy

I didn't see this coming :roll: ..... Im just curious, but where you live does everything cost 1000.00?

Teen, your going to need to get all the fish into the qt tank. Your main without fish hosts for 6 week should cure. You will need to do frequent water changes on the qt tank considering the bioload. Get a copper test kit to measure the copper level in the qt tank, this is very important, too much copper will kill you fish. Also turn up the temp on you main to 85 degrees, this speed up the life cycle of the parasites.
Good luck!!

when setting up the QT is it better to have the water at a higher temp since the ick can not survive a higher temp in its free swimming stage (i don't remember the technical term)?

Obviously everything does cost 1000.000 HAHA. Not to be mean but we told you so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

brndfrb said:
Obviously everything does cost 1000.000 HAHA. Not to be mean but we told you so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thats a productive post. I try to stay out of confrontations on this board, that is what attracted me to it, the lack of posts such as this. Are you really affiliated with premium aquatics? How professional. Just love how people jump on a band wagon. I understand this person has ignored much advise on this forum, but is this really necessary?

Are you really affiliated with premium aquatics?

<scratches head> The only person on this board officially affiliated with premium aquatics is Jason Frey, no one else posting on this board is authorized to represent premium aquatics.

I understand this person has ignored much advise on this forum, but is this really necessary?

Nope, certainly not, unfortunately it was to be expected. When I saw this post yesterday, I subscribed to it, cause I figured after a month of trying to get SWT to do the right thing with his tank, it would get ugly. The thread day before yesterday should have been locked, long before there was any moderator involvement, let's not make this one the same. Whether you like, dislike, are frustrated, whatever...the I told you so's and the attackes do not help this kids fish. This is the thread where you get to decide and show us, are you here for the fish, or your own ego?

reefrunner69 said:
Are you really affiliated with premium aquatics?

<scratches head> The only person on this board officially affiliated with premium aquatics is Jason Frey, no one else posting on this board is authorized to represent premium aquatics.

I got that from his profile, its listed as his web.
Sorry for the rant, I jst want to help swt save his fish. BTW, there were several helpful threads earlier in the post.

Btw, u dont have to be an ass, a 25gal setup actually costed $500 but I think its way too much for a f****** qt tank, *sigh* you cant blame me for every mistake that my dad make, he just wont listen, no need to be putting me down for something I did not f****** do :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x

Back
Top Bottom