ICH...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanz8anz

Aquarium Advice Activist
I believe a couple of fish have this annoying parasite i have started raising the temp and this has made the fish i believe to be effected ( 1Kirb and 3 barbs) almost worse..

The fish store i used to go to before moving cities used ti believe the use of copper to kill this white spot parasite. I noticed he had a copper coin in his a couple of his tanks and asked y and that is what he told me..

The fish store i go to now has advised against using medication because of the kirbensis and my bristlenoses.

I would like to no if anybody else has heard of copper treating ich and if it would b fine for all other fish

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Correlation does not imply causation. Increasing the temperature didn't make the ich get worse, rather more of the parasites hatched and infected the fish.

Copper does indeed treat ich but I and most other agree that it is better to use medications as a last resort for treating ich. Slowly raise your tank up to 86 degrees and keep it there until a week after there are no longer any signs of ich. This is a tried and true method of eliminating ich.

The whole tank seems to be pissed off the clown louches appear to be the only happy ones we r changing out filter and we have it running with our old filter which is what i think got up the angels noses cos the current is quite strong but i have 6 barbs huddling in a corner twitching by the heater and my kirbensis's r stropper than usual. Which is y im concerned about raising the temp anymore i would b a bit devastated to loose any of these fish which i was wondering about the copper as it seems least invasive

What's your temp up to right now? How many fish do you have in the tank? Also, how big is the tank?

The heater has been set to 27 degrees celcius ( still in the raising process) 200litres 4 angels 6 barbs 4 louches (fish sitting) 2 bristlenoses and 2 kirbensis. I am aware there is a slightly over stocking issue here but we have increased airation and r doing frequent water changes to help and everythng was fne until a couple of days ago when i notice one of the barbs getting a hammering from.the other ones and there had been some scratching against objects still yet to see white spots yet but there is obvisious agetation.. the only fish with one spots is our female kirbensis she has 3 white dots on her dorsal fin which have been there for ever and will disappear wen she colours up to show off

Back
Top Bottom