Ick galore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vacuumlad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last week we bought some fish from Petsmart after other Petsmart fish completely wiped out our tank. They are in quarantine now and it's become a disaster. One of the platys had babies and the others are completely covered in ick. One guppy died today from a looks like Finrot all the fish look horrible. The temperature is at 78° I can't get any higher that's as high as my heater will go. I'm treating with salt at the teaspoon per gallon per day I'm on day two. I tried melafix and supper ick cure. Neither worked. Petsmart used to be amazing but all of a sudden now their fish all come with diseases. Is there anything else I could/should be doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454377907.726716.jpg

I also even tried a salt bath. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454377944.791703.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454377999.986999.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454378019.714948.jpg

I looked up the ingredients and got malachite green and furan2?

Ich meds with malachite green and formaldehyde (eg seachem paraguard) is the most effective that I know of.

The others will work but slower pace.

Ich can take ages to go. I remember one that I treated had a spot sticking around for 4 days or so after all the rest had gone. This was at higher temps as well.

Mind had benzaldehyde green. And all the fish are COVERED in ick today ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454426805.592698.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454426830.820170.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454426856.048301.jpg

That would be the same or close to MG - just branding name.

Unfortunately at the visible, white spot stage ich is largely protected from meds. It's when they burst and become free-floating that most meds will work on the exposed parasite.

I've copied below the info that I have for the salt dip strength needed:

A 3ppT (parts per thousand) salt solution is equivalent to 0.3% salinity, or 3 grams per liter, or ~2.5 teaspoons of salt per gallon (~2.5 tsp = 11.4 gm/gal US). This is the standard recommendation for salt treatment for skin parasites and for Ich. A level tablespoon is equivalent to three level teaspoons US/UK (4 Aust).

When using meds make sure there is no carbon in filter and that tank water is clean. Follow med bottle directions. Most ich meds will get soaked up by any organic matter in the tank so a temp-matched water change on med dosing day will help.

Melafix won't work for ich. Triple sulpha or metronidazole are said to work or should work when ich is on the fish but are slow acting. These would be dosed in addition. I've never seen these tried for this although apparently there is a paper somewhere.

Last edited:
I've been using ick cure and have 3 tsp per gallon of salt. The fish still look absolutely horrible they are COMPLETELY COVERED in ick. Thanks.

Increasing aeration will also help the fish as the meds will take out some oxygen.

I have used high heat and meds together (normally risky) and it still took over a week to go.

I've done that. fish show no improvement. This is crazy to see no progress after a week of dosing. My ick cure says it only takes 3 days. I ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454516842.033787.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454516897.210343.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454516943.115062.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454516991.071564.jpg

Every picture has 'clear ' water??
If you are using a dye based med(anything with any of the greens/blue) and you don't see the color, you have not used enough IMO...
Can't expect a med to work if there is not enough of it???
By today the ichs should be starting to fall off(vacuum your tank!) since they look to be getting worse the meds aren't working.....
Ich is easy...
Kill it or kills your fish...
Know the enemy;
Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist

Pretty much having the same problem. Got some fish from Petsmart and now they are all dying. Not going to be buying fish from them anymore.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Are you using carbon in your filter? If so, remove it while dosing meds.

Also, when buying fish from big box stores, take your time and observe the fish in the tank for any signs of disease: visible ich, damaged fins, dead fish present, flashing etc. Also be aware that the water in their tanks may circulate through other tanks and be a part of a large system...so, all the tanks in that system should be showing no signs of disease, or else do not buy them.

All fish looked healthy at petsmart. I'm using a sponge filter. The water turns blue for about one hour after I medicated the tank then it goes away

Also melafix and the salt doesn't discolor the water.

Does it list the ingredients of the anti-ich med? Some are more effective than others.

But in general as ich is so common, follow the ich med instructions to the letter. Re-dose when you need to. I've never cured ich in one med treatment cycle, always had to redose.

Watch out for secondary bacterial / fungal infections. I've had fish come through heavy ich infestations fine, only to pick up bacterial infections.

Both guppies does from what looked like fin rot. It looks like my gourami has it to I think. All fish are getting salt baths as I type this.

Was going to add keep an eye on ammonia, ph, etc just in case not mentioned and if you need to do (not quite sure which fish is where).

Back
Top Bottom