ick what has to go to Qtin.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adacaro

Aquarium Advice Activist
my fish have ick Do I have to take out my shrimps, eel, velvet nudibranch, stars , How do I take my eel from under the rocks

You don't have to remove the shrimps, nudi, or stars. As for getting the eel out of the rocks, I don't know. Try coaxing him out with food I guess. Or maybe bait a bottle or something depending on how big he is. Good luck.

inverts are not hosts just get the fish out for 28 days
increase temp to 85
or reduce salinity to 1.018(slowly very slowly)

Remove your fish and eel to a qt - leave the main tank alone - fallow for 6 weeks. This assures that the parasites die off and have nothing to live off of. Do a hyposalinity (lower the salinity slowly to 1.009) for 4 weeks. Slowly raise the salinity back to the sg of the main tank. By this time 6 weeks has past and you can reacclimate your fish to the main. Good luck - I'm in week 4 of this procedure!

Establishing the new lower salinity, the return to normal salinity, and maintaining hyposalinity can be tricky and time-consuming, though. SG has to be low enough, yet high enough. Assuming your QT is smaller than your main tank, top off may be an issue depending on evap rate. I seems to me that if you are going to remove your fish to QT anyway, a copper treatment combined with slightly lowered salinity (thought to ease the stress level in fish) in the QT may be a lot easier.

Of course, I hope never to have to find out for myself!! :)

BTW: It is an absolute pleasure to read and participate in this and the other forums. I agree with all of my other brother newbies that the advice here is first-rate. Even when opinions differ, it provides a series of options so that I can make my ultimate decision based on a knowledge of the facts. Thanks to all you vets who take the time out to help. ALthough I've done a TON of research and am probably "book smart" when it comes to FOWLR, there is nothing like experience to provide the ultimate knowledge. The problem with learning by experience, though, is it often gives us the test BEFORE we've learned the lesson.

Midiman, I agree with the added amount of time involved with the method of hyposalinity, I felt that this method was best for my fish. It was my yellow tang that came down with brown ick, and it seems that hypo is the recommended treatment for this. Also, I didn't want to stress the tang and my perculas with the copper treatment. They are happy, eating, swimming and playing as usual. It just really takes time to make sure that the topoffs and water changes don't mess with the sg too much. With my life being as crazy as it is, I enjoy my time with my tank, so it hasn't been a burden. And I get the added enjoyment of being able to start adding corals to my main tank - two tanks to enjoy! :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom