ID:Brown spots on glass and sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inevitable_101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I have had my tank setup for about 1 month now and have brown spots that started to show in the last couple of days but have now spread from the back of the tank to the glass and the sand.I haven't seen my slug in 4 days now and am wondering if it died and is contaminating everything.When the slug was alive I had never seen this.this have done a couple partial waterchanges of about 10% each since the tank was set up.I currently have a clown fish,hermit crab and purple slug (which is missing)

1.What is this?
2.How do I get rid of it?
3.Will it affect the fish?
4.What could be causing this?

My guess, diatomes, they happen and will burn out....but without a pic it's hard to say.

If the slug died you should get an ammonia spike. test your water just in case. i wouldnt give up hope just yet. if your water turns out fine give the little one some time to adjust to the tank.

With out pics it is impossible to ID 1000% but to hazzard a guess it could be diatoms (natural in a new tank will burn out on their own :) )
Or it could be dinos PITA to get rid of but they can be beaten I have been batteling them for 1.5 years and am finally getting the upper hand . Alot of times dinos are mis-ided ..

I have done a pwc and cleaned up the spots and the glass.I went to my lfs and picked up some turbo snails to try and get the tank cleaned.But after an hour When I looked in my tank I noticed the hermit crab eating a snail.I know that they do that sometimes for they're shell but this was a smaller snail.Do you guys recommend I return the 3 that are remaining?Now I'm beginning to think that this is the one ate the slug.

How did you acclimate them . Sometimes we get snails and they die , the hermit just cleans them up ... He is doing his job ... They can also be cannibalistic at times :) I wouldnt worry and just keep the snails .. if he take them out get bigger ones ,or return the crab

20065-albums355-picture2279.jpg

So when I was leaving to work I feed my clown fish when I noticed that the crab has now cleaned out the snail shell and has transfered the anemone over.:confused: I was surpised to see this as I had just got it about 1 week ago.How often do they change shells?

Back
Top Bottom